Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 05:36 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Fairy View Post
Everyone, I finally heard back from Rustoleum in case you're thinking of using this paint...

"Thank you for reaching out! A hardener is not needed when applying our Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Farm and Implement Paint; this coating dries to a glossy, scratch-resistant finish without the need of a protective topcoat. Loose rust should be removed by sanding or wire brushing the surface. For the best results, we recommend priming the entire surface using our Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Rusty Metal Primer: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...9502/100112883 - Rust-Oleum Product Support 2 "
A hardener isn't needed. That's a given. But it makes for a longer lasting finish.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Fairy View Post
Ok! Thanks all!

Sooo...my plan now is to wash and lightly sand bus just to scratch it a bit. Treat the rust spots with extra love (more sanding, Rustoleum "Stops Rust" spray). Tape off windows, etc. Spray Rustoleum "Primer Surfacer" in light grey (oil based; all I can find this stuff in is light grey and grey). Spray Rustoleum "Farm and Implement Oil Paint" (slightly thinned maybe 15-20%; skipping the hardener) in International Harvester White. We'll see how coverage goes and may apply an extra coat.

If you guys have any helpful tips, or think I should be doing something differently here, please feel free to share! I very much appreciate it!

Now, let's hope for a day with no wind... ;)
Wipe off the bus after sanding before painting and don't apply paint in full sun. Otherwise, this looks like an excellent plan. I did read that you should use automotive tape rather than Blue painters tape but I don't know squat about that personally. Might want to look into that because you obviously care about doing this right. Good luck with the wind!
Old 07-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
What!?!? I bought the spray rust reformer because I read rust reformer was the shizzle. Grrrrr. Actually I used some of each because some things you can't reach well to paint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The best rust converter isn't a spray. Its called Rust Reformer. Its white and when it is applied to rust turns black. The spray can labeled rust reformer is just black spray paint. The real RR product is $75 a gallon.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation Corp
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: International T 444E
Rated Cap: 71 pass., 12 window
THE PLAN IS IN MOTION!!!

Ok, so we're priming in sections primarily because we're super busy this week... gotta do what you gotta do. We applied Bondo (from Home Depot) where needed on screw holes, etc and sanded bus. We're washing and wiping with acetone as we get to a side/roof of the bus. First up... the FRONT! Started here because it was a bit smaller space and we wanted to see how this Primer was working before we take off doing the roof/whole vehicle. We brushed primer on after work yesterday. One direction, let dry, then the other direction. Looks really good so far. It's all very exciting!!! While we're doing this, we have been sanding other parts of the bus that have rust and used Rustoleum Rust Stop spray (from Menards). These spots were treated with an extra coat of Primer.

My baby is going to be RUST FREE!! (haha, I know someone will have a comment on this)

Primer I'm using is Rustoleum Primer Surfacer (from AutoZone). It's drying very fast so we're not doing this in the middle of the day. It can be sanded as needed. Good thing is... it's going on easy and quick. I got 2 gallons of it so we'll see if that lasts the whole bus or if I'll need to get more.

So. Very. Excited!! Woot!

AND, to top things off, Power Inlet and Dogbone were delivered yesterday!!! Power Center and Air Conditioner on their way!
Trail Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, rustoleum paint, tractor paint