Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
HDX Door Switch

On my HDX, the double-door is pneumatically operated through a switch on the driver's side panel. One can override this switch by operating a manual ball valve near the door.

Unfortunately, after restarting Brunhilde after I ran out of fuel, I had forgotten to put this ball valve into the manual position. When the air pressure came up, the doors shut and there was no way immediately apparent for me to re-enter. Bear in mind that I have rigged the emergency door to preclude external entry by ne'er-do-wells.

I do have access to the back of the driver's side panel. Is there a way I could rig a key switch to bypass the door switch from the outside?

CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:23 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
I always reached through the driver's window to throw the switch. The air supply line for the door comes off of a connection with the seat and face-slapper as you reach in and to the right of the fuse panel array. You could pop those lines and lose all of your air, but it should relax the door.

The supply line goes through the floor and under the bus at that location as well.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Ah, but the driver's window was latched shut, as well. Still would like to install an external switch.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Time to call C4 Solutions!
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
open up the air drain valve for the auxillary air tank and lose enough air to relax the
door cylinder to gain entry then you could rig a remote switch or ball valve for next time
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 3126b CAT
My HDX actually has a switch in the fuse panel on the bottom, in the middle, that looks like a toggle switch that opens and closes the door. I wouldn't imagine it would be a hard thing to accomplish yourself, just tie a switch into the back of the switch that's already there.

This is great for securing the door when you leave the bus as you can lock all emergency exits, then hit the switch and your main doors close, basically locking them in place with air; close the fuse panel, lock it there, and nobody is getting into the bus without forced entry (or the knowledge of the air supply lines like Rhombus pointed out above)

If you want, I can try and trace the wires on my switch to see where you could place one yourself.

Follow along at: www.naturalstatenomads.com
NaturalStateNomad is offline   Reply With Quote