Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2008, 10:48 PM   #1

Year: 1984
Coachwork: gmc
Chassis: 72 passenger school bus
Engine: gasoline 10 cylender
Rated Cap: 72
head light problem

i just bought a 1984 gmc 72 passenger school bus and i replaced one of the headlights because the lead to it was broke off but now niether of my headlights are working. i already checked the fuses and the battery is new. any suggestions
also does anyone know were to get the glass for the folding door

joshritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: head light problem

if neither of the headlights work on high or low beam, then i would suspect a bad ground.

a light only needs 2 wires to work. one connected to 12 volts + and one to ground (12v-) headlights have three wires. one is for ground, of the remaining two, one is for low beam, one for high beam.

get a volt meter (vom), or a test light, turn the headlight switch on and test the connector at the bulb to see if you have 12 volts. You can connect one lead of the test light/vom to a good ground, then test to see if you have 12 volts at the headlight connector.

if you have power at the headlights, but they are still not on, the problem is either lack of ground, or the bulbs are faulty. If no power at the headlights, suspect the fuse (which you said you already did) the highbeam switch (possibly on the floor), or the headlight switch. If those all check out, then the problem has to be wiring.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Re: head light problem

Yeah, good point about the high beam switch, thats a not-obvious thing that can get ya. They get old and dirty and will cause the headlights to not work.
Joe Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote