Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2006, 04:32 AM   #1

Head room and ground clearance

How much head room does everyone's bus have.
I stand at 6'2 and i have some family that stand at 6'6 so i was wondering what kind of head room your buses have.
also what is the best way to get more ground clearance on a bus without making it flip

Old 12-14-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
headroom

I think my bus is a little unusual and if you look at my gallery pics at the roof you might agree. My bus has 77" inside height and most tall people (6'4" or so) say how nice it is to not have to stoop or bend their head over to walk through it.
Larger tires is the only way I can see raising a bus to gain ground clearance without screwing up your suspension geometry. Sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
Bus Nut

My Bluebird is 6'4" and I am 6'3" so I feel my hair dragging along the ceiling. Some Thomas buses have a raised roof that is 6' 6" as well as some Carpenter and Ward/Amtran.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
With my insulated floor I have exactly 6 feet in the middle of the bus. I'm 6'5"......

Buses have an extraordinary amount of ground clearance really. The parts that hang low are the axles and stepwell. A person could modify the stepwell easy enough though it's going to make getting in and out of the bus that much harder. You could gain a little room under the axles by running the tallest tire you can fit without hitting fenders. The tranny pan and oil pan could just get a healthy skidplate to protect them. As far as lifting a bus....well....it's quite possible and would be relatively easy to do, but I would rather not offer advice on that because I don't think it's a good idea for any purpose other than exhibition.

Just learn what the low point are on the vehicle and keep them away from the high points on the terrain. Drive with a tire on that big rock, not straddling it. Just how far offroad are you planning on taking this thing? My bus has been down many a logging road and skidder trail without issue. I also don't go places that are going to get me a $2500 towing bill (Jason )
Old 12-14-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Having just purchased a Thomas Safe-T-Liner I found they make that body style with three different roof heights...6' even, 6'3", and 6'6". The 6'6" model doesn't seem that difficult to come by which (I think) makes it about the most availble of the tall top buses. I know Blue Bird and Carpenter (at least) made taller buses but these seemed to mostly go the the military and such and are harder to find (but are out there).

Ye gads! More road clearance...I thought the school buses already had tons after looking at Transit and Greyhound style buses.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:41 PM   #6

Year: 1964
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: International
Engine: 549 gasser
Hello,

I have a 1964 Superior bus that I was lucky enough to have the previous owner raise the roof by 6 inches. It made it possible to even install a ceiling fan which I doubt many school bus conversions have and yes none of us have ever had a problem hitting our head on anything in the bus but I’m the tallest at 5’ 9” so that’s not saying much to all you tall guys.

If you are interested in how to perform the modification I can get you in contact with the guy who did the conversion or some other people who have done something similar.

Ken
1964_Superior_Skoolie is offline   Reply With Quote