Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83
Heading to Lowe's Sat morning

Well, I'm heading to Lowe's to pick up some supplies for laying the flooring. I'm going to pick up 1/2 inch styrofoam insulation, 5/8 OSB and other various supplies.

I was going to originally pick up roofing felt for the vapor barrior. But I was reading on here about that smelling like tar whenever it gets heated. Which has me concerned about the roofing tar that I put on my floor patches. Am I always going to be able to smell that? I was thinking if I use plastic sheeting for a VB and completely cover the wheel humps I won't get any tar smell? Hazardous to health?

My plan is vapor barrior, insulation, plywood, flooring (rug, linoleum etc..) Maybe rosin paper? I was thinking plastic would keep any unwanted odors coming out of the floor.

Also does Lowe's or Home Depot sell the polyethylene plastic sheeting? If not where could I get that? Also is rosin paper available at the big box stores?

BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Re: Heading to Lowe's Sat morning

Lowes' and Home Depot... I remember the day when, during my initial "get-it-liveable" construction phase, I didn't have to go to the hardware store for the first time in a long time...

FWIW, YMMV

I smoke, and I couldn't smell asphalt if it was smeared on my cigarettes!

I used thick poly sheeting for a vapor barrier, running strips of it along the walls down to over lap a poly "floor pan" that was a single sheet as long as my floor and that ran up the sides about 8". It has 1" styrofoam and 3/4" ply on top of it. No complaints here.

I have an imported Chinese tile floor on top of the plywood (the self-stick vinyl tiles said "made in China" on the back -- that's imported Chinese tile, right?) I bought the cheapest tile I could find because I was running out of $$. It was $0.38/foot. All in all, it has worn well. It DOES NOT do well in direct sun. It bubbles up as the tiles expand and push against each other at the edges. Over time that is less and less of a problem, but I do try to keep sunlight off of it. It also discolored very badly underneath a black rubber door mat that sat in the sun at my back door. But it was cheap.

You have to remember, every thing you add to the floor cuts your interior height. Right now, if I had to replace my flooring, I'd go with very good sheet vinyl. I might go with laminate, but it's would end up costing 1/2" of interior height.

Keep cleaning in mind. A nice smooth floor is easy to sweep clean in a bus, and if you go in and out at all, you're going to be tracking something in.

The nicest thing about living in 200 square feet of space -- you can mop the whole floor with Windex and a few paper towels!
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Well, the floor isn't going to happen today. We are expecting 6 inches of snow in Mass so I've been running around getting plow stuff ready.

Smitty, what is visqueen? Also can I get the polyethylene plastic from Lowe's?
Old 12-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Ha. Ha. Sorry. Thanks for the info. Pretty much got everything done I wanted to today. The only thing I did on the skoolie was spray the engine down with transmission fluid in a bottle as a penetrant. It was quite dry and rusty back there. I need to change hydraulic and coolant lines because the fittings are pretty bad.