Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #1

Headroom

I am shopping for a bus to convert for RVing. I would like to have an interior height of 6'-1" or more and I would prefer not to do a roof raise. Are there certain Year/body/chasis (YBC) combinations that I should be looking for to get maximum head room. Perhaps some of you could post your YBC and headroom.

Thanks
Carl

carlsauction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Headroom

To be realistic, most year/body/chassis has more than one height available. Best way to describe this is a visual on the roof line just behind the drivers area. If you look at the profile of a bus (side view) roof line, and the roof drops about 3" a foot so behind the drivers seat, the interior height will be approx 6' high. If the roof goes straight then it should measure about 6'3" inside, and if the roof raises up some then you are looking at about 6'6" interior height.

These are generalizations here, exact measurements may vary some from one make to the next, but you'll find that to be close. I wanted to find a raised roof (6'6") for my Thomas Safety Liner, but locally the only thing they had was the drop roof at the time. Same bus, same chassis, same everything except the roof line is different.

Next time you are out and riding around (school is starting now anyway) look at the various buses and their roof lines and you'll see what I'm talking about...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Re: Headroom

For an example of the raised roof look at this image here, right behind the drivers window you can see the roof line go up (this is a Thomas Safety Liner BTW)....

This next picture is the one I bought, you can see the roof line drops behind the door area...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote