Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83
Heat/Air Conditioner combo

I was wondering about the roof heat/a/c combo units that are available. Has anyone used them? I'm going to have to put 2 A/C units in my skoolie because its a 40 footer. So I was thinking.. What about the heat and a/c combined? That way I don't have to spend more money on a propane furnace.

I would also like to keep at least 1 of my rear factory heaters for traveling, so I don't have to have the genny running while on the road.

What do you think??

Dan

BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Heat/Air Conditioner combo

Roof top A/C units are the best way to cool the bus, however, the heater in them are just plug in heat strips... they work well enough for a little light heating on a cool night, but they will not do much in freezing weather... However, a couple of them with a Big Buddy heater to supplement them should work well enough...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Coleman & Duo-Therm make ACs that you can add a heat strip to. You would be better off installing a CAT or vent-free LP heater. Other places sell them as well so shop around for a good price. Heat pumps won' work below 45F.

http://www.campingworld.com/category/rv ... ioners/370

BTW, if you do decide to buy from Camping World, get the Presidents club when you buy to get a nice discount. We bought a 6 gal AC/LP water heater for our RV along with the PC membership. We came out ahead $$.

Figure out what you need and check out the prices at http://www.ronthebusnut.com/browseDisp_715.html
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Thanks for the tips. You can bet if I go with A/C, I will be looking for used equipment. Thats for sure.

If I get a LP heater. Would I have to get 2 of them for my bus? Or would 1 work fine?
Old 01-02-2010, 01:59 AM   #5
Bus Nut

I would buy new for the warranty and to not inherit somebody else's "Problem Child". I have been reading that the heat strips in them are good for brisk mornings only, as they dont put out much heat. And on the cooling side, you should only have to use the A/C when it get Really hot, for the rest of the time, a simple roof fan will work to let the hot air rise up and out while you suck in cooler air. Just moving the air will make it feel cooler, and if you use some frozen bottles of water in front of fans, it will help with cooling even more. Just make sure that you have a window open to let out the condensation as you would for an unvented heater.

Heater. I figure one for every 20feet of bus... But get one and see how well it does. You can always buy a second one if needed.

I admit to living in northern california, so our temps to flux all that much. But I run my window shaker for a total of 2-5 days a year, and thats only when the temps are triple digits. I dont use a heater either, just grab a blanket or two...or pile them on.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:32 AM   #6
Bus Nut

In highschool (199 I was part of the tech crew in the Drama Department. We had two hallways that we had to keep warm for the actors, both were 8' wide and tall. The little stage had a 25' hallway, and the large stage had a 41' hallway. It took one heater of similar style using propane to heat up the 25' hallway, but there was always a cold spot depending on where we put the heater. If in the middle, both outer ends would get cold.

The 41' hallway required that we used two and we normally spaced them about a third of the way down the hallway to heat it. We would normally get to about 72-ish degrees and maintain, with minimal b..ching.

Now I am sure that the technology of these heaters has come a long way in the 11-12 years since, but I dont know. Thats why I said to try one out first, then consider a second one. You don't load your plate sky high on your first time through, you can always go back for seconds. ^.^
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Nice information!! Thank you!