Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Heaters

Is a wood burning stove a viable option? Pros and cons? Compared to electric or propane heaters? Granted the wood burners double as a stove, but I'd probably not use it for more than heating the space.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
There are many here that install wood stoves. I do not have my bus yet, but I purchased a CubicMini Grizzley. There are larger units out there but mine will not be primary heat source. Woodstove threads in past month:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f51/cu...ale-20511.html
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f51/cu...all-20176.html
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f51/wo...dow-20132.html

Doug
Old 01-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
I'm not a fan, but I can see the attraction in a bus that is lived-in, and not driven much.

Whatever you do, please bolt them down securely. I have seen way too many pictures of free-standing woodstoves in buses.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
Bus Nut

100% agree with Twigg( Steve). Which is why i chose the CubicMini. It is not large enough to fill and run all night (prob 2-4 hours max). It ships with heat shields and mounting plates. Its not my main heat source. That would be my LP furnace, or minisplit if on shore. BUT, it does give me cheap heat when I feel like tending to it, or I can stock it before bed, and when it dies, the furnace will take over for rest of night. Or the rare romantic mood setter.. To me its about options. Nothing more.
Doug
Old 01-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defjr333 View Post
100% agree with Twigg( Steve). Which is why i chose the CubicMini. It is not large enough to fill and run all night (prob 2-4 hours max). It ships with heat shields and mounting plates. Its not my main heat source. That would be my LP furnace, or minisplit if on shore. BUT, it does give me cheap heat when I feel like tending to it, or I can stock it before bed, and when it dies, the furnace will take over for rest of night. Or the rare romantic mood setter.. To me its about options. Nothing more.
Doug
You say it ships with heat seals, only if you order them with it and pay the extra $142ea. for the shields or the stand for the sale price of $342. The Grizzley is $462 for the stove and another $180 for the shields or stand. $500-$650 is pretty pricey for that little unit. I had a wood burning stove in a house we owned once stuck in a far corner of a finished basement, you got upstairs through a spiral staircase at the opposite end of the house. When the stove was boring on high, the basement was unusable (Too hot) , but that stove heated the whole upstairs through the spiral stair hole.
It wouldn't bother me if it went out in the middle of the night, once I'm under my covers in bed body heat keeps me warm all night. Right now my house heat pump is down and I'm waking up to 43° temps in the house (outside high/low today is 30/9 with a current temp of 21. 43 inhere right now, but the propane heater and fireplace will bring it to a comfortable 55.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Pricey? YES. But I wanted a unit that was safe for the space needed. Anything much bigger can get hot enough to burn a bus down or just run you out and be unusable. I DO wish it could run a full 8 hours on one load tho. I did forget I haggled with them on the phone to include the wall mount/ heat shield with the slide out tray due to a 6 week backlog on shipping. Even tho I dont need it for another 3-6 months. I told them its winter now and I would just have to go with a Dickenson unit. They threw the mount in free. I figure if it can heat a 5th wheel/ trailer, it should do well in a shuttle or shorty.

Doug
Old 01-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Is a wood burning stove a viable option? Pros and cons? Compared to electric or propane heaters? Granted the wood burners double as a stove, but I'd probably not use it for more than heating the space.
Idk about wood but diesel is...propane is easier on the electrical system...diesel is harder on the wallet

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
Idk about wood but diesel is...propane is easier on the electrical system...diesel is harder on the wallet

My reasoning as well. If I have shore power the minisplit is my best option. If not, then i will use the Suburban 19k btu furnace (LP). Emergency is the portable Buddy, but it puts out a lot of moisture. The woodstove is for drying out, ambiance, and initial heat in evenings.
Doug
Old 01-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:

If I understand what you are saying here: Diesel is more expensive to heat with than propane?

Where I live, diesel and propane are both $3.29 a gallon.

A gallon of diesel contains 139,000 Btu's
A gallon of Propane contains 91,600 Btu's

It would look to me like diesel would be over 30% cheaper than propane.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:32 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Here in Northern VA LP (filled not exchanged) running $3.15
Diesel $3.69

While the math still shows diesel slightly ahead btu per penny, the cost of diesel appliances are MUCH higher. I got my 3 burner stove, 19k btu furnace, and water heater(ac and LP) for $700 total. All new from Suburban and all LP. To have gone diesel the Webasco heater close to 19k btu kit was $1200! So, how long till i get to actually save some $?
Doug
Old 01-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defjr333 View Post
Here in Northern VA LP (filled not exchanged) running $3.15
Diesel $3.69

While the math still shows diesel slightly ahead btu per penny, the cost of diesel appliances are MUCH higher. I got my 3 burner stove, 19k btu furnace, and water heater(ac and LP) for $700 total. All new from Suburban and all LP. To have gone diesel the Webasco heater close to 19k btu kit was $1200! So, how long till i get to actually save some $?
Doug
Yep, propane way cheaper...

Old 01-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
If I understand what you are saying here: Diesel is more expensive to heat with than propane?

Where I live, diesel and propane are both $3.29 a gallon.

A gallon of diesel contains 139,000 Btu's
A gallon of Propane contains 91,600 Btu's

It would look to me like diesel would be over 30% cheaper than propane.
And I thought I was getting focked when I was paying $2.99 for propane at TSC. I started buying from them because the propane company in town was charging me by the size of the container and not by how much fuel it took, whether it was empty or not. Plus they close at 5 during the week and are not open on Sundays. Tractor Supply was the first place I had been to that sold propane by the gallon and not by the pound, making it cheaper to fill my tank. Well this year the propane price went up to $2.99. Sat., the coldest day of the year yet, I run out of my heating propane (30b) and go to TSC to see they are out of fuel. Some one should get fired for poor planning on propane reorder. You shouldn't wait till your empty to reorder when it's winter. I wait till Monday and call them to see if the reupped only to be told they won't have any before Thurs. We are now in our 5th day at no better than freezing temps, unusual here in Ga. So Monday I call the other place figuring I'll pay the extra few dollars to get some heat in the house (woke up to 43° in the house), only to get their answering service to tell me they took a ling weekend for New Years, WTF, it's this cold and people are in need and they stay closed. So I go in yesterday to fill up and find that they now charge by the gallon just like TSC, but they have it priced at $2.09/ga. Looks like TSC just lost my propane business. My local grocery chain, Kroger, has diesel at $2.79. So around here 139,000btu would cost $3.13 for propane or $2.79 for diesel, after figuring initial cost of equipment, I'll stick with propane since all the other gas fired equipment in the cabin will be propane.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:05 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
And I thought I was getting focked when I was paying $2.99 for propane at TSC. I started buying from them because the propane company in town was charging me by the size of the container and not by how much fuel it took, whether it was empty or not. Plus they close at 5 during the week and are not open on Sundays. Tractor Supply was the first place I had been to that sold propane by the gallon and not by the pound, making it cheaper to fill my tank. Well this year the propane price went up to $2.99. Sat., the coldest day of the year yet, I run out of my heating propane (30b) and go to TSC to see they are out of fuel. Some one should get fired for poor planning on propane reorder. You shouldn't wait till your empty to reorder when it's winter. I wait till Monday and call them to see if the reupped only to be told they won't have any before Thurs. We are now in our 5th day at no better than freezing temps, unusual here in Ga. So Monday I call the other place figuring I'll pay the extra few dollars to get some heat in the house (woke up to 43° in the house), only to get their answering service to tell me they took a ling weekend for New Years, WTF, it's this cold and people are in need and they stay closed. So I go in yesterday to fill up and find that they now charge by the gallon just like TSC, but they have it priced at $2.09/ga. Looks like TSC just lost my propane business. My local grocery chain, Kroger, has diesel at $2.79. So around here 139,000btu would cost $3.13 for propane or $2.79 for diesel, after figuring initial cost of equipment, I'll stick with propane since all the other gas fired equipment in the cabin will be propane.
Diesel appliances are more expensive...

Old 01-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Coal anyone? Lasts all night and burns very clean. Takes less space then wood. Hard coal ( anthracite) not soft coal.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Coal anyone? Lasts all night and burns very clean. Takes less space then wood. Hard coal ( anthracite) not soft coal.
That tends to be a regional fuel...and I once had access to coke...THAT'S a hot fuel! you can burn up a stove if you get it too hot...

Old 01-03-2018, 07:24 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Diesel appliances are more expensive...

Didn't I say that in my post?
Old 01-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Coal would add another fuel source to the bus that would be only for heating and not other appliances, so no really feasable.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
That tends to be a regional fuel...and I once had access to coke...THAT'S a hot fuel! you can burn up a stove if you get it too hot...

I once had access to coke also, but it was white and really expensive to burn in the stove.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Didn't I say that in my post?
You did.

But no one mentioned that if you buy Planar instead of Webasto or Eberspacher, you will save hundreds of dollars in the initial investment.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:30 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
You did.

But no one mentioned that if you buy Planar instead of Webasto or Eberspacher, you will save hundreds of dollars in the initial investment.
It reminds me of when I checked out solar panels for my home so I could get free electricity. I figured it would take around 15 years before I saw free electricity. Unless you have deep pockets the savings isn't cost effective for awhile.