Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #1

Height from insulated floor to curve??

We are in the earliest planning stages of our bus. (grid paper drawings and saving money) I have started prebuilding some items (lower cabinets, storage bed frame and dinette to rv specs) I would like to build a dresser/bookshelf combo but am unsure of how tall to make it. I'd like it to get close to the where the ceiling curve starts, but definitely don't want to go higher as it needs to sit flush to the wall. We are looking at buying the biggest bus we can (77-84 passenger) but I am hoping that this finished floor to ceiling curve is one dimension that might be standard. (though I'd settle for ballpark) Anyone have any ideas?

Cabingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
It varies a lot. I know BlueBird and Thomas both had three different heights. I'm not sure when, but I think both have switched to the taller models.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
1986 Blue Bird All American FE 89 passenger/40 ft.
Original Floor to the rail above the window: 56"
The metal cove that is above the windows tips in slightly so the top of that is: 64"
Original floor to peak of ceiling: 75-1/2"

The floor is about 1/2" thick (OSB and Trafficmaster Ceramica tile). Floor is insulated from the bottom, not inside.

DO get too hung up on paper plans until you actually get a bus. I was lucky in that I could use the floor plans I originally drew up for the Eagle in the Blue Bird. I still had to move things to accommodate framework and plumbing. Also a few changes we had come up with in the meanwhile needed to be accommodated for as well. Once we had the bus and then lived in it for a few months, we made more changes to make things a little easier to get around. It's amazing what shifting something an inch or two does for livability does.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Have you ever lived in a trailer or RV?
If not, consider renting one to see how you like it. You can also get a good feel for where you'd like things to go and how to arrange a layout better.
Just a thought.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Have you ever lived in a trailer or RV?
If not, consider renting one to see how you like it. You can also get a good feel for where you'd like things to go and how to arrange a layout better.
Just a thought.
We have already gutted, rebuilt and lived in an 86 Southwind. (220sq. feet) I built everything inside that as well, hubby did electrical and plumbing. We currently live in a manufactured home. (944 sq. feet.) We get tiny living and like it. We were on the verge of another rv remodel when we discovered the option to use a bus and we are sold hook line and sinker.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske View Post
1986 Blue Bird All American FE 89 passenger/40 ft.
Original Floor to the rail above the window: 56"
The metal cove that is above the windows tips in slightly so the top of that is: 64"
Original floor to peak of ceiling: 75-1/2"

The floor is about 1/2" thick (OSB and Trafficmaster Ceramica tile). Floor is insulated from the bottom, not inside.

DO get too hung up on paper plans until you actually get a bus. I was lucky in that I could use the floor plans I originally drew up for the Eagle in the Blue Bird. I still had to move things to accommodate framework and plumbing. Also a few changes we had come up with in the meanwhile needed to be accommodated for as well. Once we had the bus and then lived in it for a few months, we made more changes to make things a little easier to get around. It's amazing what shifting something an inch or two does for livability does.
I definitely am not boxing myself into a corner with plans and prebuilds. When we gutted an 86 Southwind (with no plan and no clue) I just winged it. Having that experience I'm looking forward to converting a bus. I have several floorplans drawn for different size buses. Things like a raised bedframe with storage underneath is a pretty safe bet. I've also built a dinette to rv specs, so that will work. I am leaving plenty of wiggle room though. You're right, when we get it, I might need to change this or that, adjust here or there. I'm a bit anxious to prebuild every little thing that I can. Might hold off on the dresser/shelf combo though. But thank you for the specs! They are helpful.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
I have told my daughter (Das Mel) to not do an entire floor plan. Just do vignettes, like the bedroom, the bathroom, the galley, the salon. And to not get terribly hung up on sizes. We can and will change things to fit it in. Either she waits until I buy a piece of land or she buys an already built bus that we can just remodel a little.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabingirl View Post
we have already gutted, rebuilt and lived in an 86 southwind. (220sq. Feet) i built everything inside that as well, hubby did electrical and plumbing. We currently live in a manufactured home. (944 sq. Feet.) we get tiny living and like it. We were on the verge of another rv remodel when we discovered the option to use a bus and we are sold hook line and sinker.
excellent!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote