Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hello all need some info on a possible bus purchase

Ok i have been lurking around here for awhile and have posted a few times. I have a lead on an older Thomas Built bus on a Chevy B series chassis which was built between 67-73 if i were to guess by the front end on it. What i know about it so far is this.

It is a 48 passenger model
Chevy B series chassis
Chevy gas engine
PTO winch on the front bumper
and dual rear emergency exit doors.

Vague info i know but thats all i have gathered so far. Next time im out at my friends yard i will see if i can get at it and take some pics. Its a friend of an old friend of dads who has it. Well this guy has become a friend to me as well but anyways...It was dads friend that mentioned it when i was looking into 3 tons to build into an RV. Now what i need to know is what the length of a 48 passenger bus would be as well as width. The floor plan im considering is a combination RV/Toy hauler to haul my motorcycles and eventually a quad for camping trips. If possible i would like to be able to devote 20 ft to the hauling area to allow the construction of an on board garage. Im perfectly ok with only using 15-18 ft for the RV section itself.

Darkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47
Re: Hello all need some info on a possible bus purchase

My bus is a 1967 Ford Superior 47 passenger set up the same as you're thinking. I think it is only about 28 feet long. It has 7 rows of windows. I don't know how wide it is, but a full size motocross bike will just fit sideways. I think they take 8 ft. I have about 3 windows worth of bus that is garage, giving me enough room for two full size bikes, maybe a third. If I had a wider door in back I could problably fit 4 bikes, the limiting factor is being able to get them turned sideways.

It sounds like you will need a much bigger bus to have enough room, if the camper/hauler space is going to be that large and separate. Don't forget the hood, stairs and driver's seat being part of overall length.

This is mine.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16694
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobus
My bus is a 1967 Ford Superior 47 passenger set up the same as you're thinking. I think it is only about 28 feet long. It has 7 rows of windows. I don't know how wide it is, but a full size motocross bike will just fit sideways. I think they take 8 ft. I have about 3 windows worth of bus that is garage, giving me enough room for two full size bikes, maybe a third. If I had a wider door in back I could problably fit 4 bikes, the limiting factor is being able to get them turned sideways.

It sounds like you will need a much bigger bus to have enough room, if the camper/hauler space is going to be that large and separate. Don't forget the hood, stairs and driver's seat being part of overall length.

This is mine.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16694
Thank you for the info! Yea i was confused as to how they determined length on these things lol. Original plan was to devote 10 ft to the "garage" area which gives me enough space to have a tool box in front of the bikes. However im not opposed to the idea of running the box alongside the bikes instead of in front. So if the bus is around 28 ft long...that still gives me at least 10 ft to build into a living quarters. So really about the same amount of space as a small camper trailer. Im estimating 8 ft of that 28 ft length being used by the front end and drivers area...does that sound about right? Thanks for the link of your build!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

Are you building this for day and overnight trips or staying in it for a while? Are you going to travel far?
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobus
Are you building this for day and overnight trips or staying in it for a while? Are you going to travel far?

It will be mostly used for day and overnight trips and occasionally camping at lakes. But its main purpose will be a support rig for my dual sport and quad. And eventually it will be modified to tow one of my off road trucks behind it. main goals is to equip it with a small closet,hot plate or stove top, fridge and a bed.