Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2018, 09:08 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
Hello - check in

Greetings Forum:

1st – Thanks to this terrific group for all the hours of entertaining and instructional reading.
2nd – I wish I would have stumbled onto this idea when I was in my 20’s. 38 years later, the Skoolie challenge appeals to me on several different levels that wouldn't be a concern in my younger days.

My bus search has been going on and off for a couple years, I’m a patient guy. Have been looking for a 7-9 window RE or CE bus for a couple years. Several nice ones have surfaced over the years. Because I live in Amarillo TX, I’m probably destined to buy a bus sight unseen. I’m hesitant to pull the trigger on a 20 year old bus that’s 1200 miles away because I have little knowledge on what it takes to get a non-starting bus moving after it’s set for even a short period of time. I don’t mind paying an extra grand for a bus that has recently undergone a maintenance check up by a dealer – if it guarantees me a safe trip home.

Given that set of “minor” problems, Anyplace in particular I should concentrate my search for a RE bus that fits the 7-9 window criteria?

What about the city tranist buses? I don't see lot of discussion about those on here.

The CE buses are easier to find, and I might be better off purchasing one of those anyway. My initial use for the bus will be to camp off the grid, on mildly uneven terrain. Then when I retire in a few years I plan to go on extended trips and would spend more time on the grid in commercial camping areas.

TIA for any advice. Sorry for all the extra words.

Cheers -

mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ive only ever seen FE's in the 8-9 window configuration.. those have a pretty short wheelbase.. thomas are the most common ive seen..

city transit busses occasionally come up for auction.. shorties are rarer.. many city busses are run into the ground before being sold.. but you can sometimes find them from a private coach company for sale when they update..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ive only ever seen FE's in the 8-9 window configuration.. those have a pretty short wheelbase.. thomas are the most common ive seen..

city transit busses occasionally come up for auction.. shorties are rarer.. many city busses are run into the ground before being sold.. but you can sometimes find them from a private coach company for sale when they update..

-Christopher
Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing an RE 8-9 window bus. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

At the moment I have a bid in on one like this- maybe I should up my game and bid more seriously. https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...2&acctid=2910&
Old 04-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #4
Skoolie

Well, this bus is mine and am ready to get started on the build...as sooon as I get it home. About 550 miles to go after I pick it up this Monday. The storage site is right across the street from San Antonio International. I hope this baby starts and runs. At this point I know very little about the bus mechanically. The School District was kinda stuck up about answering questions. Am supposed to meet a mobile diesel mechanic at the bus around noon so he can help service the thing for the trip north.The body is everything I wanted - lets pray the engine and tranny are at least driveable.