Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2016, 11:16 PM   #1
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Garden State (rural NJ)
Posts: 383
Help/Advice? What's it Worth?!?

Long story short. Just got off the phone with my brother in N. Carolina. He went to look at a bus for me. This is a trip bus originally owned by a charter company. It left the company 1 1/2 years ago with its head mechanic, who retired. It was his "favorite". He was in the process of converting it into an RV when he had a severe stroke last October. He passed in April. The bus still sits in the family's barn. They're not rushed to get rid of it and would like it to go to someone who appreciates it and will finish the conversion. Original Blur Bird binders and manila folder with all records of bus since new. Drivetrain is not original and includes an LSD. Numerous (unknown at this moment) parts lying around the barn intended for conversion.

1978 Blue Bird All American RE. White. 48 pass/12 window (33'?). "Tall ceiling". 418K on odometer. Great (not new) rubber. All rust has been repaired. All new stainless wheel wells/flares. New undercoating. Ceiling mounted road-AC system. Under-belly storage. Class IV WD hitch. Cruise. Frt/Rr air. 12/24V hybrid electrical system. 6v92T (87k on rebuild), MD3060 (unknown mileage). All mechanicals were known to be in excellent working condition when it left the company. All gauges and lights are believed to be in working order. All interior (except for cockpit) is gutted, including skin. Front door has been replaced with RV-style door/screen door.

This bus is 650 miles from me. I want to see it soon, cash in hand, prepared to make a reasonable offer.

Anyone have any idea what it's actually worth and what I should offer for it? Your advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:39 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 956
Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2
cool bus!
the 6v92 would be a nice big engine to push you down the road. if i was a seller of the bus i think i'd look for $12k or so, as that is what a repower would cost. as a buyer, i'd find it be hard to pay much more than $5k, just because there are so many other buses out there.

my 2cents
__________________
.
Turfmobile Build Thread
turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:27 AM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Garden State (rural NJ)
Posts: 383
Thanks, turf! Really like your Turfmobile, btw.

12k, huh? Your reasoning makes sense. A full rebuild kit for the Detroit is $2k alone, let alone labor. I'll have to think on this. Wanderlodges sold on EBAY this Spring for between $8 & 15k; like this '83 XL40, w/6v92 & 115k miles for $10700. This is a lot more "bus" than I want but still.

Blue Bird Wanderlodge 1983 | eBay

This bus buying thing is harder than I thought. I guess it truly is what the market bares at any given moment.

A bookmobile would make my life easier. =)
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:27 AM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 252
Definitely a very good platform from which to start a build. Now it's just a meeting of the minds to what it's worth to both parties. Pros include the engine, transmission, it's already seats out, and all the comforts like air and cruise. Cons may be how long has it sat untouched and overall age of the frame and body even if the powerplant is newer. Although if the owner was a bus pro then I doubt he was building his own rig on a rusty, worn out chassis.

Let us know how you fare.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:30 AM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Garden State (rural NJ)
Posts: 383
Thanks, Jake Blue. I agree. 400k miles and 37 years on a skoolie is concerning. I suppose if it was well cared for it's fine. The fact that it was pampered for much of its life is a little reassuring.

Having spent several years in coaches, modern skoolie drivetrains are underwhelming. This seems to give me the size/clearance that I want, along with a decent OTR powertrain.

I'm hoping I can con my brother into going back with a camera and tape measure before I hike down there. Does anyone know how strict National Parks are about the 32' size limit? It's likely that this chassis is 33'. It seems to have been a very common length.

Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_blue View Post
Definitely a very good platform from which to start a build. Now it's just a meeting of the minds to what it's worth to both parties. Pros include the engine, transmission, it's already seats out, and all the comforts like air and cruise. Cons may be how long has it sat untouched and overall age of the frame and body even if the powerplant is newer. Although if the owner was a bus pro then I doubt he was building his own rig on a rusty, worn out chassis.

Let us know how you fare.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:11 AM   #6
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Garden State (rural NJ)
Posts: 383
Hey, guys. Just wanted to update on this bus. I didn't get it but my brother did. So the Blue Bird is staying in NC. He and his family are having a ball working on the bus. He's meeting a insulation company tomorrow to have it sprayed.

Hope everyone's week is going great!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: MD near DC
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
Hey, guys. Just wanted to update on this bus. I didn't get it but my brother did. So the Blue Bird is staying in NC. He and his family are having a ball working on the bus. He's meeting a insulation company tomorrow to have it sprayed.

Hope everyone's week is going great!
Is he a member here? Pictures, we need pictures!
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Garden State (rural NJ)
Posts: 383
He is not a member here. I believe he has been lurking though. Maybe we can get him to join.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #9
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North carolina
Posts: 551
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Where in n.c.?
There are more and more in n.c.,s.c. And va. This year than ever before maybe we can schedule our own meet up?
I am down at the beach and am almost finished inside minus the AC thing and am working underneath with completing holding tanks and starting storage bins but can only go at 49 for now and can be at a meet up if planned far enough in advance.
Almost took Jolly Roger to GRANDFATHER mountain July 8-11 for an event but didn't get the 7th and 12th off to make the run. Going to happen next year though. Done gave a year's notice to my boss man if I am still in the same job.
East coast meet up?
Bring if you got it ready if not just bring your normal camp stuff and a meet and greet discussion type thingy can happen?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 7,904
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Where in n.c.?
There are more and more in n.c.,s.c. And va. This year than ever before maybe we can schedule our own meet up?
I am down at the beach and am almost finished inside minus the AC thing and am working underneath with completing holding tanks and starting storage bins but can only go at 49 for now and can be at a meet up if planned far enough in advance.
Almost took Jolly Roger to GRANDFATHER mountain July 8-11 for an event but didn't get the 7th and 12th off to make the run. Going to happen next year though. Done gave a year's notice to my boss man if I am still in the same job.
East coast meet up?
Bring if you got it ready if not just bring your normal camp stuff and a meet and greet discussion type thingy can happen?
A southeast meetup would be great. I'd make it rain or shine.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.