Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2016, 11:16 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Help/Advice? What's it Worth?!?

Long story short. Just got off the phone with my brother in N. Carolina. He went to look at a bus for me. This is a trip bus originally owned by a charter company. It left the company 1 1/2 years ago with its head mechanic, who retired. It was his "favorite". He was in the process of converting it into an RV when he had a severe stroke last October. He passed in April. The bus still sits in the family's barn. They're not rushed to get rid of it and would like it to go to someone who appreciates it and will finish the conversion. Original Blur Bird binders and manila folder with all records of bus since new. Drivetrain is not original and includes an LSD. Numerous (unknown at this moment) parts lying around the barn intended for conversion.

1978 Blue Bird All American RE. White. 48 pass/12 window (33'?). "Tall ceiling". 418K on odometer. Great (not new) rubber. All rust has been repaired. All new stainless wheel wells/flares. New undercoating. Ceiling mounted road-AC system. Under-belly storage. Class IV WD hitch. Cruise. Frt/Rr air. 12/24V hybrid electrical system. 6v92T (87k on rebuild), MD3060 (unknown mileage). All mechanicals were known to be in excellent working condition when it left the company. All gauges and lights are believed to be in working order. All interior (except for cockpit) is gutted, including skin. Front door has been replaced with RV-style door/screen door.

This bus is 650 miles from me. I want to see it soon, cash in hand, prepared to make a reasonable offer.

Anyone have any idea what it's actually worth and what I should offer for it? Your advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:39 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
cool bus!
the 6v92 would be a nice big engine to push you down the road. if i was a seller of the bus i think i'd look for $12k or so, as that is what a repower would cost. as a buyer, i'd find it be hard to pay much more than $5k, just because there are so many other buses out there.

my 2cents
Old 06-26-2016, 12:27 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Thanks, turf! Really like your Turfmobile, btw.

12k, huh? Your reasoning makes sense. A full rebuild kit for the Detroit is $2k alone, let alone labor. I'll have to think on this. Wanderlodges sold on EBAY this Spring for between $8 & 15k; like this '83 XL40, w/6v92 & 115k miles for $10700. This is a lot more "bus" than I want but still.

Blue Bird Wanderlodge 1983 | eBay

This bus buying thing is harder than I thought. I guess it truly is what the market bares at any given moment.

A bookmobile would make my life easier. =)
Old 06-26-2016, 06:27 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Definitely a very good platform from which to start a build. Now it's just a meeting of the minds to what it's worth to both parties. Pros include the engine, transmission, it's already seats out, and all the comforts like air and cruise. Cons may be how long has it sat untouched and overall age of the frame and body even if the powerplant is newer. Although if the owner was a bus pro then I doubt he was building his own rig on a rusty, worn out chassis.

Let us know how you fare.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:30 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Thanks, Jake Blue. I agree. 400k miles and 37 years on a skoolie is concerning. I suppose if it was well cared for it's fine. The fact that it was pampered for much of its life is a little reassuring.

Having spent several years in coaches, modern skoolie drivetrains are underwhelming. This seems to give me the size/clearance that I want, along with a decent OTR powertrain.

I'm hoping I can con my brother into going back with a camera and tape measure before I hike down there. Does anyone know how strict National Parks are about the 32' size limit? It's likely that this chassis is 33'. It seems to have been a very common length.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_blue View Post
Definitely a very good platform from which to start a build. Now it's just a meeting of the minds to what it's worth to both parties. Pros include the engine, transmission, it's already seats out, and all the comforts like air and cruise. Cons may be how long has it sat untouched and overall age of the frame and body even if the powerplant is newer. Although if the owner was a bus pro then I doubt he was building his own rig on a rusty, worn out chassis.

Let us know how you fare.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:11 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Hey, guys. Just wanted to update on this bus. I didn't get it but my brother did. So the Blue Bird is staying in NC. He and his family are having a ball working on the bus. He's meeting a insulation company tomorrow to have it sprayed.

Hope everyone's week is going great!
Old 07-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
Hey, guys. Just wanted to update on this bus. I didn't get it but my brother did. So the Blue Bird is staying in NC. He and his family are having a ball working on the bus. He's meeting a insulation company tomorrow to have it sprayed.

Hope everyone's week is going great!
Is he a member here? Pictures, we need pictures!
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
Bus Nut

He is not a member here. I believe he has been lurking though. Maybe we can get him to join.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Where in n.c.?
There are more and more in n.c.,s.c. And va. This year than ever before maybe we can schedule our own meet up?
I am down at the beach and am almost finished inside minus the AC thing and am working underneath with completing holding tanks and starting storage bins but can only go at 49 for now and can be at a meet up if planned far enough in advance.
Almost took Jolly Roger to GRANDFATHER mountain July 8-11 for an event but didn't get the 7th and 12th off to make the run. Going to happen next year though. Done gave a year's notice to my boss man if I am still in the same job.
East coast meet up?
Bring if you got it ready if not just bring your normal camp stuff and a meet and greet discussion type thingy can happen?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Where in n.c.?
There are more and more in n.c.,s.c. And va. This year than ever before maybe we can schedule our own meet up?
I am down at the beach and am almost finished inside minus the AC thing and am working underneath with completing holding tanks and starting storage bins but can only go at 49 for now and can be at a meet up if planned far enough in advance.
Almost took Jolly Roger to GRANDFATHER mountain July 8-11 for an event but didn't get the 7th and 12th off to make the run. Going to happen next year though. Done gave a year's notice to my boss man if I am still in the same job.
East coast meet up?
Bring if you got it ready if not just bring your normal camp stuff and a meet and greet discussion type thingy can happen?
A southeast meetup would be great. I'd make it rain or shine.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:38 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Where in n.c.?
East coast meet up?
My brother's in the Charlotte area. He's hoping to make the bus' inaugural trip shortly after Labor Day.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
My brother's in the Charlotte area. He's hoping to make the bus' inaugural trip shortly after Labor Day.

I'm from Statesville, just North of Charlotte! I'm currently in California but sometime between November and March I'll be back in the area for a brief time. Maybe we can compare buses!
Old 07-22-2016, 05:35 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by onenationundergoat View Post
I'm from Statesville, just North of Charlotte! I'm currently in California but sometime between November and March I'll be back in the area for a brief time. Maybe we can compare buses!
Where in Ca you hanging out???
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:07 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im in ohio but just got a place in st pete florida.. not sure yet which place the bus will live... both likely.. have to see if I can find covered storage for it in florida...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Where in Ca you hanging out???
Northwest of Sacramento. It's beautiful up here.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:48 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Northwest of Sacramento. It's beautiful up here.
Clearlake ??
Old 07-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Clearlake ??
Nope, Lake Pillsbury.About 70 miles from Clearlake
Old 07-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Nope, Lake Pillsbury.About 70 miles from Clearlake
Ok I know where your at, about 3.5 hr away on a good day.