Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Bus is gone.

Whelp. Unfortunately the bus was sold to someone else this weekend. Pretty bummed out about it, but we really couldn't start working on it until the Spring. We have time to find a better deal. Plus, the majority of the buses sold in our surrounding areas are the same or very similar in style, so all your information will come in handy.

Thank you!

Sigh. Disappointment.

EdwardsCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:43 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Thats what happened to me. The next morning i looked on craigslist and there was my perfect bus, just posted 7 minutes earlier. Dont rush it. It will come
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #23
Skoolie

Where are you located? Have you been using Craigslist or Auction sites for your search? If you are in an area with snow/salted roads, consider travel to an area that does not have it. (CA, AZ, WA, OR, FL,etc).
When you do find something you might like, get as much info on it as possible, there are a lot of great buses out there, but a few to stay away from. To start with, Caterpillar engine buses are not highly regarded here.
But the biggest thing that will cost you more time, money and headaches than anything else, is RUST! If you have to fly and then drive it back, it is worth it to avoid a bus that has rust. The money you spend will pay you back many times over if you get a rust free bus.
Well happy hunting and let us know how it turns out, or if you need advise on a bus you might want to buy.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Make sure to get an engine tranny combo that suits your intended purposes? I love my bus but the engine tranny and rear end combo do the job they were designed to do but doesn't really quite do what I am wanting it to do.
My budget from the very beginning included me salvaging,scrounging everything I could and I work commercial construction for a living so that wasn't a problem and my lack of skills arent a problem.
The only complaint I have and it's my fault is that I wasn't apart of this site and didn't think about power trains.
I have an 8.2 Detroit with a at-545 and an eaton rear gear of 6.5.
Which gives me a top speed of 49-mph.
I can pull tree stumps,trucks, hills just and not even know they're there (well some stumps) but I can only hit highway speed in town.
The changes that I would like to make cost more than my entire conversion?
Lesson learned
Find and pay for the power train that fits your purpose from the start.
With the newer stuff it might be easier cause some are just computer based programs but for me in an 86 there wasn't a computer.
Good luck
Food for thought.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote