Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
trx
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevy C-60
Engine: 8.2L Turbo Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Send a message via ICQ to trx
Help: Eaton Axle Shaft Removal

I'm trying to remove the axle shaft from my rear Eaton axle (19,200 lb) and having trouble getting it to come loose. It says to hit the center of the plate with a brass drift punch to knock the tapered washers loose but I can't get it to budge. I've only succeeded in bending my 1/2" brass punch. I need to replace an axle seal and I'd rather not have to take it somewhere. Anyone have any other methods they've used? Thanks.

Chad Urvig

trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Help: Eaton Axle Shaft Removal

before disassembly, check to see if their i any play in the rear bearings, can you rock the wheels top to bottom or move them in and out?

if so you probably have a bearing issue.

first jack the buss up and support the weight on the frame with the proper support, then jack the axle up enough to just lift the tires off the gound.leave the tires on the brakedrum.

put the nuts back on the studs to protect the threads and then get your biggest 12 or 16 lb hammer, wind up and hit the center of the axle shaft, you need to hit it hard enough that the flange distorts inward momentarly this will eggshape the tapers in the flange and release the tapered wedge washers, put a pan in the wheel to catch the gearlube that is goiung to run out, then remove the nuts, put a screwdriver into the slots of the tapers and twist to expand and remove them. pull the axle shaft, spin the wheels and listen for bearing noise, start looking for a reason that the seal failed, are the bearings bad or loose?

look for the tab washer that locks the axle nuts together and bend the tab out of the way, remove the outer nut and the tab washer, loosen the inner nut, jack up the axle end enough to slip apiece of sheetmetal large enough to slide the tire and drum assembly on under the tires, slime the sheelmetal up with grease or dishsoap and let the jack down so that the tires just sit on the slime sheet, remove the inner nut, slide the tire/drum assembly out and replace the seal and clean up the brakes etc. reassemble in the reverse order, use caution and care so you don't damage the new seal.

look closely at the seal and axle tube to determine why the seal was leaking, if the tube has a groove in it from the old seal, their should be a sleeve and seal assembly available to install over the groove in the tube.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Welcome to what we Toyota owners have to deal with anytime we take our locking hubs off. The first time I removed them was pretty terrible. I've since then made sure I use good antisieze on them. On the Toyota ones I've had success leaving the nuts loose and then tapping the slot in the cone washer with a flathead hammer. It's work, but they come out. Perhaps you can get away with the same technique? Otherwise there is always the torch. Heat the whole area up good and hot and then take a can of air duster. Turn the can upside down so that liquid sprays out and direct it at the cone washers. The tapered area around the washers will be expanded from the heat and the liquid will freeze the cone washers helping them come loose. Seriously...it works...even as paintless dent repair on cars.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
trx
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevy C-60
Engine: 8.2L Turbo Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Send a message via ICQ to trx

Thanks for the input. I've thought about just hitting it with a hammer directly but the service manual says if you do you could do some damage. The plate does look banged up a bit so I'm assuming it was being hit directly with a hammer before. The heat/air can method also sounds promising.

Chad
trx is offline   Reply With Quote