Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
for a 40 footer id definitely look for the 8.3 / MD3060 combo.. as mentioned hears are important..

there are higher-Spec DT-466E's and DT-530E's which are good inline 6 highway engines. with an MD3060 attached.

it seems a couple people have had luck getting their 6th gear unlocked on their Thomas Busses.. not sure if anyone has been succesful on a Bluebird or not..

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
So I am seriously looking at this one. What should I know about it? What pros and cons can you guys see. I've contacted the seller and the price is negotiable, what should I offer him and what should I pay? Says it goes 70mph, no problem.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/for...409401858.html

I like whomever did maintenance on this thing. The hoses are marked with part#'s date of installation and mileage.

Tranny is an MT643, is this a good unit, pros and cons?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
So I am seriously looking at this one. What should I now about it? What pros and cons can you guys see. I've contacted the seller and the price is negotiable, what should I offer him and what should I pay? Says it goes 70mph, no problem.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/for...409401858.html

I like whomever did maintenance on this ting. The hoses are marked with part#'s date of installation and mileage
I gotta say, the price he is asking, if the bus has no major issues, is not unreasonable.

If he says it's negotiable, then he is prepared to come down at least $500. I'd start him at $5000 and hope to get it for $5500. Everything has to work though, and the tires need to be good, with at least a few years left on them. Tires, and their date codes, are usually a very good bargaining point.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I like it. It's probably already been said, but the generators are worth that much. The interior isn't bad and it's safe to assume it already has insulation. The mileage is stated in the same sentence as the transmission, so I'm not sure if that's when the transmission was replaced or is the actual bus mileage.

Alcoa rims and relatively fresh tires too. That's a pretty good start.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Not sure ho well you know diesels and a/c systems, electrical systems. Sure is a nice rig tho. If me I would go in person and check it out before committing. Do NOT take anyone's word for its condition. Got to hear it start in the cold unaided, battery condition, run like it should, shifting issues, brakes, the works before you can talk price at all. Don't be deceived by looks man!
You might offer a guy like Christopher (or someone else as knowledgeable) a paid trip to check that out especially in winter. He could soon tell you what is what. Then dicker on the price.
Lots of potential in that bird for sure, love those gennies the most. Would need a steam cleaning I think after being a blood donor clinic.
If I was allowed across the border with a promise that I could come back to Canada, I'd be down there myself.

John
Old 01-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #46
Bus Geek

It sucks it's so far away from me, makes it hard to do a visual inspection. I'll be driving an Airstream Argosy20 to Ct. next week and would like to fly out of Ct.to Chicago, pick it up and drive it home to Ga. Seller says I shouldn't have any issues doing that. I agree, the 2 pennies and 3 air conditioners as well as the 120v system are worth the price without the bus. I had a different paint job in mind for my bus, but would consider keeping this one the way it is and touch it up.

Anyone in that area available to go check it out for me?
Old 01-04-2018, 04:48 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Quote:
It sucks it's so far away from me, makes it hard to do a visual inspection. I'll be driving an Airstream Argosy20 to Ct. next week and would like to fly out of Ct.to Chicago, pick it up and drive it home to Ga. Seller says I shouldn't have any issues doing that. I agree, the 2 pennies and 3 air conditioners as well as the 120v system are worth the price without the bus. I had a different paint job in mind for my bus, but would consider keeping this one the way it is and touch it up.

Anyone in that area available to go check it out for me?
Knowing your plan now, you could see if he would take a refundable deposit till you get there and check it out. Get that in writing then get there asap or at an arranged time. The idea is just to tie it up so he can't sell it till you inspect it. You have to drive it and he may be completely honest too, but buyer beware.
The gennies and a/c's are only worth more, if anything, if they are not in need of work done. A/C test in Chicago right now is a bit iffy.
You are on to a good one I think, nearly new Michellins and Alcoas to boot. he could be desperate for money so cash talks in your favour.

John
Old 01-04-2018, 05:21 PM   #48
Bus Geek

I see on Ebay listings a place that advertises "We Go Look" and will check it out for a fee of no less than $99. I'm checking them out.
Unfortunately,that $99 only gets you a visual inspection, they do no mechanical inspection. That would be important. I already have enough pics and verbal description.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I see on Ebay listings a place that advertises "We Go Look" and will check it out for a fee of no less than $99. I'm checking them out.

Sure thing but pm Cadillackid too and explain.

$99 minimum up to???

John
Old 01-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Sure thing but pm Cadillackid too and explain.

$99 minimum up to???

John

The Premium Auto Report is $99.00 and includes 40 photos and answers report template information (VIN, visual damage, and more). This is a verification report and not a mechanical inspection. Our turn around time is 3-5 business days, and we do offer a RUSH service for an additional fee. Please be aware that we do not perform a mechanical inspection. Our jobs are photo verification only. You can view sample reports and place an order at the following link: https://wegolook.com/ebay-inspections/auto
Old 01-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #51
Bus Geek

But wait, I quizzed them deeper and got them to admit this:
Your WeGoLook inspection can be upgraded with a Video Package for $35 that includes two videos. The videos are a ​1 minute​ walk-around and a ​1 minute​ working demonstration that shows the owner starting the ​engine​, ​driving forwards​,​ backwards​, then stopping the engine​.

That's worth more than the photo inspection for $99.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

I've already seen enuff pics, but whatever you think. Me, I'd pass and get my ass up there.
You could likely fly up there and back for that, no?
Like before, take only trusted authorities word on mechanicals.
John
Old 01-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Then this one ends in 2 hours.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332501186821?ul_noapp=true

When they say this bus is 37' long, is that bumper to bumper?
Old 01-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #54
Bus Crazy

Pretty bus yes. I'm sure another will be along in 10 minutes or so.
Haven't you been following Roll Another One? Buying sight unseen? That bus is way to suspect for my liking at that price. But I am picky, don't need hassels or major issues.

John
Old 01-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Quote:
I've already seen enuff pics, but whatever you think. Me, I'd pass and get my ass up there.
You could likely fly up there and back for that, no?
Like before, take only trusted authorities word on mechanicals.
John
I'm waiting for the money first. I don't have it today. I have to take the other motorhome up to Ct. next week and work there for 3-4 days before I could fly to Chi. where my daughter lives and have her take me to the bus. If it goes before then I understand the game. It's been on CL for awhile and is still listed, the price is negotiable, so it isn't going anywhere.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:58 PM   #56
Bus Crazy

Ok, thought you wanted a thought on the school bus in Ark. The other is worth whatever you can do to hold it somehow from being sold at any price. Talk to the guy and explain you can't get there till?? but are definitely coming.

John
Old 01-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #57
Bus Geek

Quote:
Then this one ends in 2 hours.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332501186821?ul_noapp=true

When they say this bus is 37' long, is that bumper to bumper?
That's a lot of money for a standard bus with no discernible extras, an engine that is leaking oil and is in need of new tires.

Build Thread
Old 01-04-2018, 07:03 PM   #58
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
That's a lot of money for a standard bus with no discernible extras, an engine that is leaking oil and is in need of new tires.
Where do you find standard buses for less than that if that's a lot of money? That one is a base model with no frills, but looks in excellent shape. Non paying bidder always concerns me. No matter what the seller says I read it as the buyer got out there looked at it and found issues and walked. This one has cruise control, how common is that in a bus?
Old 01-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #59
Bus Geek

Quote:
Ok, thought you wanted a thought on the school bus in Ark. The other is worth whatever you can do to hold it somehow from being sold at any price. Talk to the guy and explain you can't get there till?? but are definitely coming.

John
The Bloodmobile has many advantages that make me lean that way. It has no back door, so I would be buying 2 used doors to modify that for the shop. And I may have to move the side door depending on how far back it is, may have to modify the opening to except a lift. All doable, just a bunch of work. Probably easier to tie into the existing electrical system than starting fresh, might be wrong though.

I'm thinking paying the $135 to have someone verify the questions I have is worth it. I'd hate to fly out there and then find it's a hunk of crap and then be stranded in Ill.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #60
Bus Geek

Quote:
Where do you find standard buses for less than that if that's a lot of money? That one is a base model with no frills, but looks in excellent shape. Non paying bidder always concerns me. No matter what the seller says I read it as the buyer got out there looked at it and found issues and walked. This one has cruise control, how common is that in a bus?
It's a low-powered, regular route bus from an area that often has rust issues. Tires have had it too.

Buses like that sell every day on the public auction sites for a fraction of the money.

You have to look critically at what you are buying, and this one doesn't cut it.

Try govdeals and publicsurplus

Edit: Cruise Control can be added to any bus for around $250. It's good to have already installed, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Build Thread