Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Help me with a bus battery question

If anybody saw this photo of my fuse panel, you know I need to replace it. I found a replacement box. My battery is going to be disconnected at least a few hours. If it's anything like my other problems, I will find something wrong and need three more days to order parts, figure it out and fix it.

Will this reset anything with my ECM? And any other codes or features on my ECM? I dread having to track down both an electrical or a computer problem.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200114_154346.jpg  

JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:21 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Low Floor Bus
Engine: Cummins ISL diesel 540 cu in
Rated Cap: 32
We pick up big trucks that have not been run for weeks, months, and years that have dead or no batteries at all and after we get them to fire up, they run fine. We just went to North Dakota and picked up a crane truck that sat for 4 years. Swapped in new batteries and away we went.

Whatever program that was in the ECM when it lost power will be whats in it when it gets powered again.

My experience,

BaconFarms
BaconFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:11 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Yeah, these computers are generally pretty robust. Like Bacon, I've had my share of trucks go dead (sometimes for months) and with a powerful jump, or fresh batteries, run just fine. If codes show, you'll have other problems to diagnose. Sometimes codes will clear after 10-15 minutes with no power (assuming the problem was corrected).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:05 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Ok then. It's on tomorrow. Got my teenager to at least help hand me tools. Slightly nervous about messing something up and not getting my bus started lol. It's pretty simple though. Once I disconnect the battery I can get closer and get better pictures before pulling the wires out.

I got a similar but not exact box. The lid I took off had a weatherstripping seal whick appears to have kept the inside nice. The box I bought online has just a thin flat cover. But I can add butyl tape when that gets here someday. Looks like the same size punchouts.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
My Thomas manual actually says to disconnect the batteries if the bus will sit for more than 2 weeks because of parasitic drain from all the add-on school bus specific gps/transponder/radio etc...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote