Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 11:42 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Help! need Internet connection

I'm a college student and having good internet connection is a must. I also play Xbox and stream Netflix instead of having cable or dish, so I'd like to hear some suggestions that people may have to stay connected!

TheMagicBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:18 AM   #2
Bus Nut

This will probably require a multi-layered approach to solving. Try this link...

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/overview/
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:58 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
This will probably require a multi-layered approach to solving. Try this link...

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/overview/
Great link!
Thanks for sharing it
Old 07-28-2016, 06:54 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I use my phone for most internet and then my phone has a "hot spot" function to transmit internet to my laptop if needed.

The games and tv can easily be powered with a small solar system 400w
and a couple of deep cyccle trojan t105 batteries.

Or if you are parked near power then an extension cord

Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I'm aware that I can use my iPhone 6s as a hotspot, but online gaming and streaming will eat away the 15-20 gb data allowance I have with AT&T..

Until I'm done with school (about 1.5 years), the bus is going to be parked on a farm pretty close to where I currently live. I will have shore power, so I don't have to worry about the added cost of solar panels or a generator just yet. Maybe I'll just talk to the property owner and see if he'd be willing to split wireless with me, seems like the best and cheapest solution for now. Who knows, maybe they'll be better and more cost-effective plans and hotspots by the time I'm ready to leave
Old 07-28-2016, 07:44 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
with the help of the link posted above, i got a grandfathered verizon unlimited data plan.
however if you're just parked in one spot, many carriers probably serve that area.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:53 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
with the help of the link posted above, i got a grandfathered verizon unlimited data plan.
however if you're just parked in one spot, many carriers probably serve that area.
You have more into that plan than you have in your skoolie.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

the price of the plan was cheap compared to most things skoolie. and it may have been just as foolhardy as well, verizon is moving to cancel high data use udp's. im not in the high data use territory yet. for now its my golden ticket to the internet

the udps pay out if you go over about 30 gigs a month, im hoping to have this upd for a long time.

i'm even entertaining the notion of canceling my home internet service since the verizon hotspot is faster. gonna wait a month and see what verizon does first.

i have definitely got my money's worth of help from that website. they've helped answer many of my questions. there isnt much info out there on rv connectivity and they have tested most of the options available.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
I had a "grandfathered" "unlimited" AT&T plan. They effectively cap the data by "throttling" it. So lame.
I now have a prepaid tracfone from wallyworld that's $30 a month but only does calls and text, and I have 100mbps at my home with a 52" monitor.
I don't miss my "smart" phone at all.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

the throttling is lame. for some legal reason, verizon cant do it.

my rural home internet connection only runs about 5 mbps on good days, the verizon jetpack runs between 30-50mbps. its a much better connection for me.

im going to try and tether the jetpack to a router for my home network, and the just take the jetpack with me on trips. as long as there is cell service, i should have internet.

the bus has a smart tv that hooks straight up to netflix thru the hotspot's wifi.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:43 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I feel like you'd either use so much data with Netflix or if you had unlimited after you capped out it would be super slow with a hotspot. Does anyone play online video games with hotspots? How much data and how fast/slow is it?
Old 07-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicBus View Post
I feel like you'd either use so much data with Netflix or if you had unlimited after you capped out it would be super slow with a hotspot. Does anyone play online video games with hotspots? How much data and how fast/slow is it?
The problem with online gaming, on wireless service, has nothing to do with bandwidth. The real problem is latency. Ideally, your ping should be under 100ms to keep gameplay synched, faster (30-40ms) for fast-paced FPS, etc. LTE has the shortest latency/ping in the 80-90ms range. Other cellular technologies are far worse but still far better than satellite service. If you're using WiFi to connect to your wireless ISP, you have two layers of latency that must be overcome.

Sadly, gaming is still much better left to hard-wired internet connections.