Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas 72 passenger
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230HP DT466 engine MD3060 transmission
Help removing heater/comtrols from 1996 Thomas

I have a 1996 International Thomas. I want to remove the drivers heater control panel so I can replace the floor and tidy things up. I can't seem to figure it out. Perhaps someone here can offer experience removing this thing, see photo. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0445.jpg  

Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
on my carpenter I found I could take the heater out qithout disturbing the wiring panel.. I had to open up the wiring panel and screws were down through the bottom of the wiring box into the heater.. when i took those out the heater slid inward.. and of ourse I had to disconnect the wires for the heater fans and the hoses.. there was a lip on the front at the floor with some very rusty screws that I drilled out.. then I horsed it out as it was in there good!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
i just took the heater core out of my dash, ive never cussed that bad in my life. i invented at least 100 new curse words. wish i could help you, i got a re. if it helps think of the most screwed up way of putting something together and you'll figure it out. now i gotta put mine back together.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:58 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
My carpenter heater was so screwed up that you couldn't change a motor without removing the driver seat and all the hoses and the whole unit.. who builds stuff like this ? In Ohio school busses run the defrost almost every day.. of course the motors burn up .. the box was so jacked up I ended up gutting it and installing all new parts ( including air con)
Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
I removed mine, added a 12v defroster and propane heat replacement. It was clunky and energy inefficient. If you can loosen the wiring panel from the top of the heater core you can hang it with a zip tie from the ceiling while you beat the snot out of the heater to get it out. Adding to that, when you start deleting all of the loose wires from the systems youre removing you'll find that panel to be much more manageable and much cleaner. You'll lose a lot of radiator fluid when you do all this. My heater core came out with about 20 Phillips screws. Same for passenger side and the one in the back. Don't start the bus up again without finding the heater loop on the radiator hose and closing it off. Of course you'll need to refill your fluids too
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote