Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2009, 06:12 AM   #1
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6
Re: Help with Foriegn Bus and American Engine

I would think an American rear axle would be an easier way to solve the problem. Buy one with sufficient weight rating, differential ratio and physical dimensions, modify the mounts and suspension as needed, fab a driveshaft and away you go!

Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I see a few options. The first would be to swap the rear axle. The second would be to get an engine that spins the wrong way. Many of the older Detroit Diesel two strokes spun the wrong way. The same is true of many marine application gassers, small and big block Chevy engines being the easiest to sort out parts for. Last, until recently most Honda FWD engines (and many RWD) spun the wrong way, but I don't thing a D15B is going to get a bus moving very quickly. I'm not sure about transmission choices then. I keep going back and forth in my head. I can't decide if a regular automatic is going to care, but it seems to me you would have some issues with the stator and the front pump working correctly. A manual transmission shouldn't care much aside from thrust forces from the gears being reversed and put on difference bearings.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

we are gonna need to see pics of this one...bus and engine swap! cant wait to see it and welcome here! Just how tall is that baby?Id like to make a guest cottage from one of those...not an accessory building,legally a bus.....it could work timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

There has to be a way to do it. Ive seen these on ebay that have been converted to a DT360.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Pusher buses use a different third member in the axle to account for the rotation. If he could find one that fit his axle that would be an option, but I don't think he's going to.

I'd like to see the rear axle in question. Axles shaped like he is describing are very common on the front to allow clearance for the oil pan while maintaining ride height, but I have never seen one of that type in the rear. The axleshafts within the tube need to be straight so the only way to accomplish what he is talking about is to run portal axles like a Unimog only flipped upside down in this case. I just don't think they would go to those lengths in a bus to keep a low floor. Most transit buses used by cities are "low-floor" models and they still have straight rear axles. The only exception I've ever seen was a front wheel drive bus. It used independent suspension (double wishbone type) in the rear and a solid axle in the front. They simply used a transfer case to send power to the front and never hooked up a rear driveshaft. I see the thing around town once in a while...

How about some pictures?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Huh...so it must be an upside down portal axle. I cannot fathom why they would add that complexity rather than designing around a conventional straight axle. It's interesting to say the least. I'm on a quest to find out more about that axle design.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I found myself cheering on that motor to start While watching that video!
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote