Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas 140HS 84 pass
Engine: RE 5.9L ER6BTA230 w/ MT643 Trans
Rated Cap: 84
Helpful Suggestions to a newbie on Bus Bidding

Hello Skoolie-land..

I'm very excited to be moving forward (hopefully) with my plan to buy and start my conversion process later this year...

While I'm working to get my "purchase" and "maintenance" funds together, I was hoping to draw upon the amazing about of knowledge and resources available here... (I've been reading for over a year).

So - I was hoping you guys would have some good suggestions for watching busses on the different bidding sites, good bidding strategies, etc... other than avoiding FL buses (where I'm at) bc they are so overpriced right now.... any other "winning" strategies to get my skoolie goin'!?!? help me obi-bus-Kenobi!

Old 02-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Find a place to park it to work on it, if you can't work or store it at your residence and insurance first. Some very good threads on the trials and tribulations from the members here on the various insurance carriers.

Once that's done, Publicsurplus.com and Govdeals.com are some of the best sites to search for your bus. Fleabay and CL require watching and being able to read between the lines.

Stay away from northeastern, Rust Belt, or coastal county buses- mainly because of corrosion. Look into the interior, South and Northwest and Pac Coast areas.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas 140HS 84 pass
Engine: RE 5.9L ER6BTA230 w/ MT643 Trans
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Find a place to park it to work on it, if you can't work or store it at your residence and insurance first. Some very good threads on the trials and tribulations from the members here on the various insurance carriers.

Once that's done, Publicsurplus.com and Govdeals.com are some of the best sites to search for your bus. Fleabay and CL require watching and being able to read between the lines.

Stay away from northeastern, Rust Belt, or coastal county buses- mainly because of corrosion. Look into the interior, South and Northwest and Pac Coast areas.

any suggestions for bidding? Do you recommend only bidding on one at a time (I'm assuming)... some auctions I've noticed include a write up report, should I avoid a bus that doesn't offer one?