Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hey all almost ready to paint anyone know how many gals

im almost to the point to paint my skoolie does anyone know how many gals of auto paint it takes to paint one of these skoolies. thanks all. this is a full size bus. http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-jrwon

heath692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:45 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American FE
Engine: Cummins 555 9.1 L diesel
Rated Cap: 77
paint amount

The quick and dirty: 5 gallons should do 2-3 coats.

I'm at the same point, and have checked the archive discussions for estimates and they vary depending on how you are painting and such.

A typical coverage amount for a gallon of paint is 350 square feet. If your bus is, say, about 35 feet long and 9 feet tall (a conservative one foot of ground clearance) and about that wide and is approximately one-third windows and other unpainted stuff like say wheels and tires, then you've got about 700 square feet of bus, including the roof.

I bought 2 gallons of primer and three of paint in case I need to do two coats (hopefully not given the priming).

I'm rolling it on and using foam brushes and regular brushes for trimwork.

Good luck, post pics...
Branden
Old 05-31-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
Almost There

Send a message via MSN to glock17
my painting story

http://getleid.us/modules.php?name=N...rder=0&thold=0
glock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:55 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 370
Rated Cap: 44
I got away with 5 gal, and had some left over. I just finished it the other day. You can check out my paint story too at

http://www.dammitandy.com/bus/05-spring05.htm

Plotting the next project now. Looking for a clean diesel pusher with low rust/miles. Identical plans with plumming and biodiesel added :)
dammitAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:28 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
Andy,

I really like your paint job. To tell you the truth, I didn't think it was going to look as good as it does. I just hope mine will look as good.

Robert
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 370
Rated Cap: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by roasting8
I really like your paint job. To tell you the truth, I didn't think it was going to look as good as it does. I just hope mine will look as good.
Thanks Robert! me either... are you refering to the computer drawing I had on my site?? I also started a new thread for my paint job...

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=782

Plotting the next project now. Looking for a clean diesel pusher with low rust/miles. Identical plans with plumming and biodiesel added :)
dammitAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:01 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Paint Estimate

I bought 4 gallons of paint, and I have about 1 1/2 left over (hmmm....that ceiling might look better in white than in green.....). I put two coats on with a roller, and I thinned the paint the recommended amount (8 ounces mineral spirits per gallon IIRC). I didn't use primer, but sanded down to clean paint with 100 grit and a 1/3 sheet orbital sander. I didn't have any rust to speak of anywhere on the bus, so I didn't have to deal with that issue.

If you use a roller, buy good roller covers. The cheap ones leave little pieces of lint that get pulled out of the roller in the paint. I don't know that the good ones won't, but I talked to a painter who said they didn't.

I rolled paint on a section and let it dry to the tacky stage while I rolled another section (about 3'x3' or so), then I went back with a damp, but depleted roller and re-rolled the tacky section very firmly. That eliminated air bubbles and "roping" (the streaks you get from the edge of the roller when you press too hard on it). Where the lint didn't come out of the roller and get stuck in the paint, it is hard to tell it from a sprayed on coat.

Disposability is your friend. Buy enough roller covers and some disposable gloves.

Have fun!
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:18 PM   #8
Skoolie

Engine: CAT 3208 NA
I bought 5 gallons, 3 green and 2 almond for the roof. I'm painting today so I'll let you know what I use. I'm using a foam roller and brush

More: http://www.vonslatt.com/bus-paint.shtml

Jake.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:26 PM   #9
Skoolie

OK, got one coat on just about everything and I've used just about half the paint. I did buy an additional gallon of almond but only because I had mixed all of the original two with the ceramic additives and decided not the use the mixed paint on the window posts after all.

http://www.vonslatt.com/bus-paint.shtml

So, 5 gallon is just about right for roller/brush application of two coats of True Value XO-Rust.

Cheers,

Jake.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:15 PM   #10
Almost There

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American FE
Engine: Cummins 555 9.1 L diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Great job

Jake, it looks terrific.

I think you missed a spot on the door, though.

Branden
Old 06-07-2005, 06:12 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

lol yep still looks alittle yellow there on the door. but it looks great. great job. thanks guys for all your response and by reading i'd say 5 is the number. i need to put my air on first and cut one more door for generator fuel tank fill and i'll be ready to paint i'll post some pics when done.

Allways remember a man who don't ask questions, learns nothing!!!!
heath692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:46 AM   #12
Skoolie

Well, I did say "just about" ! The rain was moving in so I didn't get to that last bit. Maybe tonight.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonslatt View Post
OK, got one coat on just about everything and I've used just about half the paint. I did buy an additional gallon of almond but only because I had mixed all of the original two with the ceramic additives and decided not the use the mixed paint on the window posts after all.

School Bus Conversion - Painting

So, 5 gallon is just about right for roller/brush application of two coats of True Value XO-Rust.

Cheers,

Jake.
Hi, I know your post was over a decade ago... But I thought I'd try reaching out anyway. We are about to paint our bus and I thought I'd ask how your paint job held up over time. We are researching different paints and what we're running in to is that no one knows how long the paint job will last. Any thoughts???
alaskan_mama is offline   Reply With Quote