Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Hey Guys!

A Flat nose would be more accepted than a dog nosed bus in private campgrounds. If you stay mostly in public campgrounds it doesn't matter. We wanted a flatnosed bluebird because we full-time. We wanted to be able to say... "Our RV is a Bluebird" and let the myopic campground owners input "Wanderlodge" to the description. To be honest, we have run into very few private campgrounds that won't take a skoolie (one with a subdued paint job). The "resort" and "destination" campgrounds are the problems. Right now we are in an OLD Class C (1977), and we are in a snowbird destination area (Corpus Christi). I think we could get a skoolie in the park we are in right now, but very few others in the area. We have run into "age" problems (both us and our RV) while here in Corpus Christi/Rockport/Fulton. If you do full-time or do extended stays, you will end up in campgrounds that aren't packed with the big shiny RVs.

BTW, the bus we got did get turned out to be a flatnosed BlueBird and rather large (40 ft). It was not part of the decision making process. We just needed a moving van and we needed it right then. After our trip out west, we have decided we like Wallydocking. Sam's clubs are our #1 choice and we also like the Wal-Marts that have a Cracker Barrel in an adjoining parking lot... Flying J lots are great too as they have good buffet restaurants. We will convert the bus to take advantage of that type of overnighting.

1986 BlueBird All American (Front Engine w/ Flat Front): The floor space behind the driver's seat/engine cover is 390 inches. I have the width listed on my drawings as 88" available space. rear wheel wells are 48" wide and are less than 24" (my closets are figured to sit over the rear wheel wells). The front ones are odd shaped and are not as deep (I have a "fireplace hearth" figured to be 48" X 15" I think but don't hold me to those depths as my computer is messing up and I can't open my floor plans right now.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Well, I'm a sucker who usually buys high and sells low, so horsetrading isn't my forte.

I think it will (weather permitting) be a nice outing to go look at it, as long as it really is a "we" project and not "me" plus toleration.

I think this bus will be easy to walk away from, but may serve to get you some good ideas, both for shopping and conversion.

Pros:
It looks like it has a 5-speed transmission with a 2-speed rear axle.
It looks like it might have air brakes.
The over/under headlights look kind of cool
The "fair" interior doesn't look too bad in the photos

Cons:
It reads like a "money pit."
It needs tires
It may need a windshield
Poor body? Fair mechanicals?

It's possible you might discover the seller is purposely giving a lower condition rating to these items to avoid having an irate buyer with a different rating system than his, and be pleasantly surprised. If not, I would guess a price in the low 3 figures would be acceptable - the value to me of the transmission and axle. If the auction got to 4 figures, I personally would run, not walk away. But I guess you want a flat front with rear door, I kind of lean toward dog-noses a bit, so I might not rate this one as high as you might.
It all depends on how much work and/or money it needs and you are willing to put into it. If the unknown problems are either all trivial stuff, or items that will be removed in the conversion, it might be OK for the right price.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I couldn't drive it between climbing-around the engine cover to get into the seat...
It's not that big of a deal. It's how ours is set up (ours is an '86 and looks just like it... just with our stuff in it and white). The drivers seat should adjust side-to-side, so you can shift it over to get in/out.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote