Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2007, 02:28 PM   #1

Hi new here and have lots of ?'s

Ok I have lost my mind and I need your help
I just bought a short bus it is 26 years old everything under the hood is brand new it has a brand new 350 big with 93 miles on it it has new air suspension new tranny, exhaust and well just all new under BUT the inside and out side are a mess I want to turn it in to a mini RV no bed just a good place for the kids to hang out on the long trips we take to rock hound I am on a shoe string so the ideas need to be things I can do my self but I am good with tools and wood here it is oh ya we named him Rock Runner

Thank you for any help
Steph

Cina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
That sure looks like a Quigley conversion to me. That winch, transfercase, and front axle certainly make me jealous!

Start with the obvious. Tear out all that junk and give the thing a GOOD cleaning. How many people are you trying to fit in there? It seems to me that

if you just want something for long road trips, you probably want something similar to what many of us have as our "living rooms" in our buses. I would look at the junkyard for some nice captains chairs out of a destroyed minivan or pickup truck. Then you get seatbelts and the ability to recline them back so you can sleep if you'd like.

A pair of golf cart batteries wired into 12 volts and a 700 watt rms or so inverter would be more than sufficient for running a small entertainment system and a fridge. I know that's enough to keep me happy for hours.

Honestly, a small TV (or LCD screen), a PS2 or similar device, especially one that doubles as a DVD player, some headphones, and a small fridge with those comfortable chairs....what more could someone ask for? The only thing stopping you then should be bathroom breaks and gas refills, both of which can happen at the same time. If you're on a shoestring, check out eBay for deals on the stuff. I (and several others) got a couple of those power inverters real cheap about 6 months ago. I paid $80 for two of them. Now I just need to score a deal on a 1500 watt model...
Old 01-04-2007, 04:55 PM   #3

There are 4 kids and my Hubby and I that need to fit in it. We are looking at a TV and game for the kids but our big thing is hauling rock so it would be nice to put in a wet sink for a rock washing station any ideas how to do that? Thank you for the help I think it is gona be a long summer
Oh ya could you tell me what is a Quigley conversion?~?
Old 01-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #4

ATM it looks like a hill billy conversion so cleaning is on the top of my list!
Old 01-04-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quigly i believe is a company that will take a new van from the dealership and install a solid 4x4 axle on the front. None of the big 3 auto makers offer 4wd full size vans from the factory. The Quigly conversion is approved by Ford and does not affect the vehicle warranty. I immagine the same is true for other manufactures

A lot of people would kill for a 4wd van!
Old 01-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #6

So Quigly conversion is a good thing :P are them gas tanks in the back safe 2 are gas 1 is water I dont want to get rearended and have to drive a pinto home because the back half blew up?
You guys a grate I have never even had a 4x4 or a bus lol so every bit of advice is a gift thank you
Steph
Old 01-04-2007, 08:51 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Money

You can buy a really good diesel bus for $4K. Buy wisely. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
Bus Geek

there are serious advantages to having a smaller rig though. That 4x4 will go tons of places a skoolie will not, plus you can park in a single parking spot. Fuel on a gas small bus has to be better than the 7 mpg i get with my diesel skoolie.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #9

We have to have a small 4x4 we are in some very rough places rockhunting we go off road every weekend this is a pic from the last place we had our mini van

This would not be a good place to take a big bus.... and this is one of the better *roads* we use
Steph
Old 01-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #10

Oh ya he gets 12.5mpg it will be here on Sat so I need ways to work with what I have I hope some day soon to have a big one to work with but atm this is it
I do have another ? with the way this thing looks can I use it in the RPI gold club I am a member but not sure of all the bylaws
Thanks Steph
Old 01-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #11

Thank you that is a very cool idea!!!