Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
Skoolie

Holding tanks

Hi again I am getting ready to install my toilet and sink I already have my black water holding tank just not exactly sure how to install it meaning connect it to the toilet anybody have pictures on how to install one, what about the vent where is a good location to install the vent I assume it ties into the holding tank then through the roof?

I tried looking at my motor home toilet and it looks like the toilet dumps directly into the tank is that right? If so how do I connect the toilet to the top of my new holding tank?

I will take pics of the tank and post tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:20 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Plans plans plans ya gotta have a plan

Lots of planning is required to build a bus into an RV. I used 3 large notebooks and threw away about all the first ideas. Ya must get to know the bus top and bottom. A good practical floorplan is a must.
The list of needs for the plan is very subjective. The latest trend is to not vent the black holding tank out thru the roof. The vent's only purpose is to vent nasty odors and to prevent the tank from being pressurized. Every hole thru the roof is a potential leak.
Placement of all toilets, sinks, showers, stove, furnace to mention a few, is very critical as to size, placement and style. Every bus into RV maker has different ideas and needs. The frame under any bus may dictate the interior floorplan. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:50 AM   #3
Skoolie

Re: Plans plans plans ya gotta have a plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-id
Lots of planning is required to build a bus into an RV. I used 3 large notebooks and threw away about all the first ideas. Ya must get to know the bus top and bottom. A good practical floorplan is a must.
The list of needs for the plan is very subjective. The latest trend is to not vent the black holding tank out thru the roof. The vent's only purpose is to vent nasty odors and to prevent the tank from being pressurized. Every hole thru the roof is a potential leak.
Placement of all toilets, sinks, showers, stove, furnace to mention a few, is very critical as to size, placement and style. Every bus into RV maker has different ideas and needs. The frame under any bus may dictate the interior floorplan. Frank
So how did you connect the toilet to the tank, cut a hole in the top, run a 3" PVC pipe to the factory drain hole in the tank and install a TEE ?
Old 05-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Toilet attachment to holding tank

Toilets are attached to a location by a fitting known as a closet flange. These ABS flanges are made for 4 inch pipe but reducers can reduce the pipe size to 2 or 3 or 4 inch. I have used 3 or 4 inch pipe. The usual method is to locate tank in a fashion that there is a straight drop into any part of the holding tank. A test hole is made thru floor into top of tank. Flange pipe size is decided and gluded into closet flange. A hole the size of the OD of the pipe is made into holding tank. Pipe length is about 3 inches into tank. A hole about 1/2 inch larger than the closet flange is made in the bus floor. The flange is carefully located in position, considering the toilet 2 hold down bolts. The flange is screwed into holding tank with stainless steel round head screws. I have been using polyeurethane caulking, in a big caulking gun. This material is forever. After tank is secure, in position, 2 toilet hold down bolts are placed onto closet flange, anda wax toilet seal is positioned on flange. The toilet is carefully lowered onto wax seal. The toilet hold down bolts are slowly tightened. House hold and RV toilets are held by te same 2 bolts altho the bolts are in different locations. Care should be used to tighten toilet in place. The RV toilet bolts are in some difficult to reach locations. Facing the toilet, the left hold down bolt is under the toilet seat and requires a 3/8 drive ratchet, an 18inch extension, and a 1/2 inch universal socket, or a universal joint with a standard socket. Some hold down bolts use 1/4 inch bolts and some use 5/6 inch bolts. The RV toilets are fragile. The RV toilet also has a hold down bolt under the foot pedal on the front. Sometimes a small block of wood can be used to keep pedal out of the work area. A straight open end wrench will tighten this bolt nicely. Check the toilet of a firm attachment, with no wobble.
When installing the water supply line to toilet, at the rear of the toilet, I install a ball valve to turn water off at toilet in case of some problem and also a kitchen sink hose and spray valve within easy reach. The spray is great for any small bowl cleanup needed. I often use 3/8 nylon air brake line for the water supply with compression fittings. The ball valve is plumbed first followed by a line connected to toilet and finally the spray.
This about all I know. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #5
Skoolie

Engine: CAT 3208 NA

Something like this. More pictures here:

http://www.vonslatt.com/bus-plumb.shtml

Jake.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:42 PM   #6
Skoolie

Now were talking thats is exactly what I am looking for, I already have the flange for the toilet, the toilet and the holding tank, gate valve, what I dont have and didnt see a picture of is the fitting that taps into the top of the holding tank itself.

Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:07 AM   #7

Hello nee to skoolie life

We are picking our bus up this week and I’m looking for guidance and boy oh boy glad I stumbled across this as we only have a 27’ but plenty of room and this water example is wonderful. Thanks so much
Hades63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:30 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
You need one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-...omotive&sr=1-1
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote