Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 345
Rated Cap: 69
Hole in Floor for Storage.

I have spent a lot of hours cruizing this site over the last few weeks for ideas for my second conversion project. I saw one skoolie that used an old stainless sink cut into the floor for the shower stall. Since we have all yearned to utilize the extra space under the bus, I had a brain fart the other day while thinking about mounting my fresh water tanks. I was struggling with mounting fresh water tanks under the bus since I thought it would be prudent to keep them clean and protected from road debris . The tank is kind of thin walled. So I am planning on cutting the hole I need in the left rear of the floor and dropping in a sheet metal "tub" with a lip or rim around the edges. Easy to fasten, easy to seal, and generally self supporting. Then I started thinking about (another BIGGER brain fart) doing this in other locations in the floor with a hatch, or just more depth under the counter or bunks for storage. No outside doors, seals, brackets, etc to deal with. Other than the Skoolie with the shower stall, I haven't seen this done. If so, sorry I missed it. Send a link.

So, Waddaya think????

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Enclosed car trailers have hatches like that. On my bus they can not be very big because of the width between the chassis rails but it might be of useful size on other buses.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
I was thinking about doing some sort of storage bin in hte floor where carpet would cover it up to hide it from a potential thief that breaks in when I'm not there. It would keep valuables safe, such as a laptop computer. I have also thought about putting a safe in it and really bolting it down good.

And while I'm at it I might as well put some kind of starter kill switch on it too. Has anyone tried to hot wire their bus yet? I havn't but I know I could in just a couple minutes or less if I had to. What kind of person would steal the whole bus? The lazy one that figures it would be easier to take the whole thing instead of a few things.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Good maintenance is to empty your air tanks everyday. Why not empty them and leave the valve open? I don't know of many thiefs that are going to figure that out and certainly the parking brakes is going to keep them from going anywhere
Old 07-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

What's your source for the "sheet metal tubs"? Won't it be difficult to get a good tub/tank match? I can see it for storage, but the tank doesn't really need any top access. I think that any floor penetrations might allow sound and heat/cold to have an easier way into the living area.

What about 1" angle iron welded together with 1/2" ply as a protective box?
suzy_F_homemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 345
Rated Cap: 69
I already have 2 tanks. 1 I bought at an RV surplus place a long time ago when I planned to keep it under the bed. The other tank I bought came with a pump and some hose ( an ATV strap on tank for use as a garden sprayer). That second tank and set-up has served me well, but this "tub" will accomodate the both tanks, future larger pump if necessary, and then some extra space for storage. I'll bend up some sheet metal, flange out the ends, and drop it in. I cut the hole last night.

http://www.upload2.com/?cmd=_viewer&fil ... if&s=b91ea

This in not something I will live in. Just a weekend party bus with some little extras, so insulation isn't part of the plan.

I'll work on a photo album as I go.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:20 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Picture didn't come through for me. Sounds like you lucked out with the fit! I just love it when design elements fit themselves together, rather than me trying to force it.

Speaking of holes in the floor, I think that a great one would be to the propane compartment. That way, you could turn the gas on and off, or change bottles, from inside.
suzy_F_homemaker is offline   Reply With Quote