Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 01:40 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Home Depot bucket for roof vent?

Hi,

I am considerin cutting a hole in the roof with tin snips, installing a home depot bucket down in so that i can put a tight sealin lid on during rain. I have solar and power so i could use a sawzall but most likely will try to tin snip the hole out.

Bucket would sit down in hole with lid above roof, sealant around bucket. I have been considering this idea for two months and figure if i wait long enough the heat will pass and i wont need it.

I am in need of a roof vent. Bus currently does not have any. It means i have to leave all windows open and even then it still doesn't let that heated air rise out.

.I like doing things unconventional and minimalist. So glad i didn't do a great job framing my bed because i just today realized a better spot for it and moved it.

I don't love the conventional roof vent options, and would be excited to do something simple that works, but still uneasy about cutting the roof. I know many people here dive right in and make things work, especually the roof raise. hmmm...

I have considered that tricky part of having to put the lid on when rain is coming, do i climb up top each time and press the tight fitting lid on...

By the way the lip near the top of the bucket that holds the handle on would be the stop and help hold the bucket firmly into place without allowing it to pass deeper into the roof hole. But still i think pressing those tight fitting lids on and off would stress the sealant each time...

I am now looking at roof vents and the price seems much more reasonable than i had considered. Might be a better option than a untested bucket.

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:21 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I think you would be extremely unhappy with that. Those buckets will break down in the sun and get brittle. Having to climb up on roof when it rains and before you leave in case it rains? You can get a regular RV vent for $20.

- 71111-C Universal Roof Vent - Price: $19.95 - Factory RV Surplus - 1611 W Bristol St, Elkhart, IN 46514 (800) 325-1461 (574) 262-3327

or with a small fan for $35

- 71111-C Universal Roof Vent - Price: $19.95 - Factory RV Surplus - 1611 W Bristol St, Elkhart, IN 46514 (800) 325-1461 (574) 262-3327

I'm sure there are other places as well.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:46 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
My Homer bucket lasted like a month in the sun before it imploded from atmospheric pressure.
A real roof vent can be had for as little as $30.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:35 AM   #4
Skoolie

I admire your out of the box thinking. However, as said above, the plastic buckets will break down rapidly in the sun, even the upper ring where the lid attaches. The sealant likely wont stick to it either for any length of time. It may look like it it has stuck, but the adhesion to the bucket will let go and water will find it's way between the sealant and the bucket.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Sounds good in theory though... I'm actually using a hd bucket for a sink right now until the lady that's making our actual sink finally finishes it...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I think you would be extremely unhappy with that. Those buckets will break down in the sun and get brittle. Having to climb up on roof when it rains and before you leave in case it rains? You can get a regular RV vent for $20.

or with a small fan for $35

I'm sure there are other places as well.

Dick

Thank you, very helpful guidance. i am glad i reached out on this.

Thank you everyone for the kind replies. If i do a roof vent i will treat myself to a real one. Seems the most simple and practical solution was revealed.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:05 AM   #7

I am done with roof vents. I got my Fantastic fan from a junk yard for $7. I was happy until the wind blew off the cover cause the lift mechanism pin worked it way loose, and well, $30 later I got it together. So first, consider putting it into a side wall, instead of a roof.

Since you like cheap, here is an idea. Get a 4 inch hole saw, Harbor Freight has them in a kit for $18 on sale right now. I see you got the light holes there use them.

This is my new venting sytem I am now building. Now get a piece of 4" plastic pipe. Then get a end cap, cut out the bottom of the pipe, about 30 percent, and the end cap too. Get a piece of screen and put over the end of pipe and shove on cap. This will keep the rain from coming in, but the bottom is open to air and comes in.

Then you put the pipe into that hole and the outside end cap keeps it from coming through. Now on inside you take a pipe couple, saw in half. Shove it over the pipe against the wall, and this squeezed it tight. When you are happy this can all be abs pipe glued.

Now, you can also put a small computer fan on the inside, drawn 300 ma, and you can force about 40 cfm or more per minute of air out, or in as you wish. This is great also for winter if you force air in, or out, to compensate for carbon monoxide etc, and draws little power. Mine runs off my solar.

a piece of pipe, two end caps, and a coupler, will cost you about 30 at home depot. A piece of screen about 5 bucks. Personally, stay away from cutting holes in your roof, just do not do it.
jefferyofsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:27 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Weird, I'm in Fl and even old 70's rigs still have their roof vents.
The wind removed my factory roof hatches.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Weird, I'm in Fl and even old 70's rigs still have their roof vents.
The wind removed my factory roof hatches.
Maybe they do not go very far. The winds and what seemed like a twister, whipped off the fantastic vent right at the metal, breaking the plastic away, in Omaha, and winds of Nevada one day sucked off another one, and it was down tight. Then there is the rain issue, eventually they all leak.
jefferyofsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyofsky View Post
Maybe they do not go very far. The winds and what seemed like a twister, whipped off the fantastic vent right at the metal, breaking the plastic away, in Omaha, and winds of Nevada one day sucked off another one, and it was down tight. Then there is the rain issue, eventually they all leak.
Eventually any hole is gonna leak. The seams, too.
Getting up there to seal everything should be a yearly or monthly task depending on the rig.
I couldn't live without the roof vents. The hatches, on the other hand, I could definitely do without.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I love my roof hatch.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote