Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
Air Tank.

I just barely installed this myself. I put a ball valve on the drain of my furthest back tanks, ran a high pressure line to an auxiliary 30 gallon tank (mounted under the floor, behing the rear axle). At that tank there is another ball valve and a quick connect. I just crack both open to fill it, then once my tank is full, I close both valves. When I need air, I crack the valve on the aux tank and its good to go. It keeps the systems isolated. Works awesome, and Ive used it several times now. You could just run off the factory system, but you'd be limited on volume, and would have to wait for your system to repressurize before you could drive.

SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:48 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Most buses with air brakes have a connector for checking the line pressure that can be used to supply air if necessary.

There is also usually a connector around the drivers front corner for putting air in.
retiredChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:53 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
neither of my busses have said connections....
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDR76 View Post
I just barely installed this myself. I put a ball valve on the drain of my furthest back tanks, ran a high pressure line to an auxiliary 30 gallon tank (mounted under the floor, behing the rear axle). At that tank there is another ball valve and a quick connect. I just crack both open to fill it, then once my tank is full, I close both valves. When I need air, I crack the valve on the aux tank and its good to go. It keeps the systems isolated. Works awesome, and Ive used it several times now. You could just run off the factory system, but you'd be limited on volume, and would have to wait for your system to repressurize before you could drive.
I was going to put a ball valve and tee where i tap into the system. It looks fairly straight forward. I'm mounting a 100lb new propane tank for air storage. 40 gallons. I use all Dewalt tools for the most part but Id like to be able check tire pressure and change a tire myself.
Some one told me off my tank I need a 1" air line to get enough volume to a big gun for bus lug nuts. I also have a HF pan cake compressor i would like to incorporate off my invertor when I am park and dont want to run the bus engine and I'm just blowing off parts or sweeping the shop out with a air blower.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
That little bit of bigger pipe isn't going to change what can be provided buy your tank or whatever compressor feeding it.
To be safe I would say to look at your air guns/impacts manufacturers recommendations and upsize by one size. So if your gun runs off of a 1/4" air hose then I would run 3/8" at a minimum. And I would keep any hard piping with tee as short as possible unless supported properly.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #26
Bus Nut

On the farm we used to change about 5 10:00-20's per day during harvest.
We used a 3/4" drive brake over bar with the socket and extensions welded too it. We also had a big cheater bar.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Well, I finally pulled my head outta my butt and realized I already have a copper line plumbed to my deleted air door! With a switch on the dashboard and a secondary toggle switch by the door! Even an air regulator in the cabinet above the door.

I'm going to T off that and add air hose ports mid ship on both sides of bus, and it'll also help periodically with an air nailer. I know not to overuse the compressor, but I feel comfortable using it off and on
Old 09-10-2017, 08:46 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckf00t View Post
I finally hooked up my air tanks to run tools here is a few pics.

You'll note I have a drain on the other side of the tank. Reason is I have two tanks, I did not put in a T junction would be a good idea if you only have a single tank. What I will have to do is hook up an air chuck and empty out the moisture before use. The regulator allows me to control outflow pressure, I can use my small airbrush, and paint gun without damage. As well some nailers don't use 120lbs. I have no way to know the CFM's on these- I'd imagine they have to be p there about 20. Anyone else know?
Were that under my bus it would have already been destroyed going down a gravel road

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:14 AM   #29
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Were that under my bus it would have already been destroyed going down a gravel road
Makes me uneasy, as well. Just run that street el into he tank and get a short nipple to valve. I'd delete gauge-will have short life and can put it on quick connect if curious about psi.

Then run an airline for this:

Leslie RS5T

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote