Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 10:03 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 5.9 turbo diesel Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
i would be upset, but not kill over the loss of batteries. i have quite a few. the price would add up well over my insurance deductible
Let me clear one thing up.
I am in no way condoning or planning a way to kill any intruder. Just a little tickle of a shock to prevent any further actions toward my belongings.
However if an intruder were to enter my residence I will defend myself and my family by any means to eliminate the threat.

Totallyskooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:29 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 71
I think to avoid liability issues in today's world where you can't defend your person or property without facing civil retribution for butthurt criminals who came off with the short end of the stick, MY idea would be to have cameras recording on the sly on your bus. I don't have a smartphone but I think they have some nifty gadgets where you can view your cameras from your phone in real time, like if you locked your bus and left to go to town or hiking or something. This way if something DOES happen, instead of facing trouble for defending yourself or property, you can just call the cops, show them your video evidence, make copies, and show it in court. Might even add a surveillance warning sign on your bus which might ward off most troublemakers in the first place AND give the added benefit of warding off people who wanna whine that we don't have the right to record them while they're robbing and vandalizing.

Also, alarm sirens have a fun way of scaring the bejesus out of SOME would be crims.

I saved this item months ago: https://www.amazon.com/Business-Wate...3GWM8S6886KJ00
DreamWeaverBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:28 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeaverBus View Post
Also, alarm sirens have a fun way of scaring the bejesus out of SOME would be crims.
Meh. It's a bus, probably with air brakes. Air horn? Perhaps with a cute little buzzer for a couple seconds as an interlude before horn sounds, just to make a person let his guard down. Probably good as a warning for oneself, too, for the occasion when the system is accidentally tripped so you know what's about to hit you.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:17 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
It's also possible to build a pretty secure safe into your bus and internet enabledtramper and alarms that could notify you of intrusions ..

Other thing honestly is if you have stuff that valuable and people know it, or are parking in such bad areas just maybe skoolie life isn't for you....

I agree it sucks that laws make it hard to protect your stuff..
ironically very few cases of dogs biting criminals ever make it to court.. so maybe you gotta get a dog
Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #25
Bus Nut

If they really want in then they will get in. A large gun safe or steel job boxes built in is about the only thing near to stop them. With enough time and tools they will crack those as well.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Simple motion/glass break type detector tied to electric air horns will put most people off. No body pays any attention to "car alarms" any more.

PS... most states have BS "Entrapment" laws that work in favor of the bad guys.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Reminds of guys back in the 1950's who would rig their hot rods to do just that. Apparently a 12v battery can put out about 100,00 volts that will knock you on your arse but (generally) won't kill anyone. No idea how they did it.
I had heard it was a coil.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:57 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy C60
Engine: unknown... really!
Rated Cap: 69
silly me; i was trying to figure out what's causing the hot skin on my bus and how to cure it! 😒
katix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 07:17 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
So, visualize this:
Your bus is parked in a somewhat remote area...national park or something and you are not there. Along comes another park visitor, maybe has has hiked too far and is not doing well...let's go extreme and say he has a pacemaker. Our winded, unhealthy stranger leans against your bus to catch his breath and you "zap" him. Or say, he needs help and tries to peak thru a window to see if anyone is there to help...anyway, when you return to the bus, there is a crowd gathered with EMS there to transport the guy (or his body) It's an extreme example, but it's the situation that will leave you in jail and/or flat broke from the related tort.
I'm not a lawyer, but you'll need one to defend you in court.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 07:34 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
I think an electric fence charger would fit the bill. They're not dangerous, even with a pacemaker, and you'll think twice about touching it again. Simple to install, maybe not even considered a boobie trap (i'm no lawyer though) and relatively cheap.
We never felt the need to boobie trap our rig, but we did have a security camera inside. I'd consider it a dick move to charge the skin of the bus but to each their own.
Old 11-08-2022, 11:48 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Katix, do you have and electrified skin on your bus? I have seen a problem like this before.

william 785 207 7600
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote