Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
Bus Crazy
 
Stu & Filo. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vacaville, Ca
Posts: 1,520
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
How About these for waste tanks?

How about these for waste tanks?


http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/4295141751.html
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 2,939
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: How About these for waste tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider
What kind of toilet will you be using?

Plan on hard mounting, and dumping them, or filling and storing?

Nat
__________________
"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:58 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
Stu & Filo. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vacaville, Ca
Posts: 1,520
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Re: How About these for waste tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider
What kind of toilet will you be using?

Plan on hard mounting, and dumping them, or filling and storing?

Nat
I have a mercerating toilet , hard mounting & dumping
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
Diesel Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,489
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: How About these for waste tanks?

I'm planning on using something similar. I'm only using them for grey water, not black. My concern is that the tanks will have an inch or two at the bottom which will not drain, since the bung holes are not on the very edge of the barrel. I think you would have to do a fair amount of flushing to get them reasonably clean and if solids start building up it would be difficult to get them out. I got my barrels really cheap though, and I've decided to accept the risks.
__________________
Gallery:
http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... l_dan_bus/
Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
Site Team
 
bansil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: MNT CITY TN
Posts: 5,039
Re: How About these for waste tanks?

I kinda figured that if solids build up due to the lip, that after awhile there will be a ramp for the...ugh...icky stuff to slid out on
__________________
Our build La Tortuga
Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
George S. Patton
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
Stu & Filo. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vacaville, Ca
Posts: 1,520
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Re: How About these for waste tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
I'm planning on using something similar. I'm only using them for grey water, not black. My concern is that the tanks will have an inch or two at the bottom which will not drain, since the bung holes are not on the very edge of the barrel. I think you would have to do a fair amount of flushing to get them reasonably clean and if solids start building up it would be difficult to get them out. I got my barrels really cheap though, and I've decided to accept the risks.
I thought of that also, I was thinking of mounting with a slight fwd angle to the drain hole something like a 3in drop & also using a mercerizing pump on the drain line
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
Diesel Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,489
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: How About these for waste tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
I kinda figured that if solids build up due to the lip, that after awhile there will be a ramp for the...ugh...icky stuff to slid out on
Aw, man! Here I am eating lunch and then... I get THAT visual! Ewwwww!! I shouldn't have waded into this crappy conversation to begin with!
__________________
Gallery:
http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... l_dan_bus/
Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:11 AM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 2,939
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: How About these for waste tanks?

Them are the ones with the two, 2" bungs in them? If your macerating toilet connections are that small, your in luck. If not, read the following.

After mounting your tanks at about 5 degrees of tilt, (toilet fill hole will be the highest point when done) with the existing bungs in a vertical position from each other, mark a spot 6" by 6" half way down the drum at the now top, (was the side). Cut that square out with a saws all. Buy two 3" abs bulkhead fittings. Use the right size hole saw and cut out the top 2 hole. This is where you will install the first 3" bulkhead fitting, and this will be the one you connect the toilet to. At the opposite end ( used to be the bottom of the drum) as close to the bottom as possible while still having room for the Bulkhead fitting, cut one more hole with the hole saw. This will be your drain. Bottom 2" port gets permanently sealed. Tank venting is done either by installing a 1/2 bulkhead fitting, or T off the toilet connection between the toilet and the tank. Now to reseal your access hole, you need to sacrifice one drum to seal the rest. Using a spare drum ( you should have a few at that price) Cut a piece 10" by 10" out of the side with a saws all. This will be your patch for the access hole. Use some nice coarse sand paper and rough up your overlaps. Apply some good silicone, and screw down every 2" to get a good seal. For this you will need some number 10 coarse thread pan head screws.



3" ABS Bulkhead fittings.


Hope this helps.

Nat
__________________
"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
Bus Crazy
 
Stu & Filo. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vacaville, Ca
Posts: 1,520
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Re: How About these for waste tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Them are the ones with the two, 2" bungs in them? If your macerating toilet connections are that small, your in luck. If not, read the following.

After mounting your tanks at about 5 degrees of tilt, (toilet fill hole will be the highest point when done) with the existing bungs in a vertical position from each other, mark a spot 6" by 6" half way down the drum at the now top, (was the side). Cut that square out with a saws all. Buy two 3" abs bulkhead fittings. Use the right size hole saw and cut out the top 2 hole. This is where you will install the first 3" bulkhead fitting, and this will be the one you connect the toilet to. At the opposite end ( used to be the bottom of the drum) as close to the bottom as possible while still having room for the Bulkhead fitting, cut one more hole with the hole saw. This will be your drain. Bottom 2" port gets permanently sealed. Tank venting is done either by installing a 1/2 bulkhead fitting, or T off the toilet connection between the toilet and the tank. Now to reseal your access hole, you need to sacrifice one drum to seal the rest. Using a spare drum ( you should have a few at that price) Cut a piece 10" by 10" out of the side with a saws all. This will be your patch for the access hole. Use some nice coarse sand paper and rough up your overlaps. Apply some good silicone, and screw down every 2" to get a good seal. For this you will need some number 10 coarse thread pan head screws.



3" ABS Bulkhead fittings.


Hope this helps.

Nat
Nice thanks, waiting for the guy to get back to me

Stuart
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have 2 new waste tanks I don't need Anthony Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions 0 05-17-2013 11:03 PM
How to Build Waste Tanks bus-bro Conversion Tutorials and How-to's 11 07-27-2012 10:59 PM
Building a waste tank captainkf Conversion General Discussions 3 12-08-2008 04:27 PM
Propane tank mount & waste tanks installed... GoneCamping Conversion General Discussions 0 11-05-2006 11:30 PM
waste oil burner lapeer20m Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions 12 10-16-2005 11:27 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.