Old 03-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #11
Bus Nut
I am interested in doing the same thing as KC, but in my little toyota sunrader. We are making a trip out west this summer and will undoubtedly have need for AC while underway at times. It has been suggested that I need a genset to accomplish this, but, there ain't a whole lot of room for such a thing, other than strapping one to the rear bumper. But, I'm not crazy about this idea as that bumper ins't the strongest thing to begin with and I'll already have enough junk hanging off it.

I found a 160 amp alternator on ebay. I would think that this, along with a 2Kwatt inverter ought to do the trick. I don't need a real high dollar fancy inverter with super clean out put. Just something rugged and capable of putting out something resembling 120VAC.

There is already a house inverter. I would use this for other needs and use the hi amp one solely for the AC.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:00 PM   #12
Bus Geek
Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
160 amps@14.4 vdc run through an inverter is basically going to give you 16 amps at 120 vac. However, this is the struck by lightning max output of the alternator. Chances are it's not going to put out near that and if it does, it's not going to be duty rated to do it for long. Don't think it isn't possible though. Heck, try it with that 160 if you can get it cheap. I may well be wrong if it ends up being a big Leece-Neville instead of a GM 12SI or similar. You could look into some of the alternators made for offroading (onboard welders, winches, air compressors, etc). Mean Green and Premier (Power Wleder) are both reputed to make a very nice unit that is duty rated at it's max output. Unfortunately you pay for them, but there's always eBay.
Skooling state at a time...
the_experience03 is offline   Reply With Quote