Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #1

Year: 1984
Coachwork: gmc
Chassis: 72 passenger school bus
Engine: gasoline 10 cylender
Rated Cap: 72
how do you go about painting

do you use a roller and tractor paint or a air brush or what?
i wanna paint it camo so whats up

joshritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: how do you go about painting

you can use a roller, it would look better if you got a sprayer and a gun and did it that way. I've never really seen do it yourself camo paint come out that great looking. A friend of mine covered an old ATV in camo duct tape and it looked great, too bad that probably wouldn't hold up on a skoolie.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1959
Coachwork: superior
Chassis: international
Engine: 468 c.i. BBchevy
Rated Cap: 66

I can tell you how I painted mine. To remove all existing paint took me about 3 days, 2 gal. of aircraft stripper available at parts stores, a cheap low nap roller and pan and a gas powered pressure washer. With an extension on the roller I covered the whole bus then pressure washed. The next day was scraping the rest with a sharp putty knife. After a day of drying(it was august) I primered it with a Sherwin-Williams product called Kem-Kromik. It sticks to everything and goes on thick. I used an HVLP paint gun. It cost about $30.00. The overspray was very minimal. We used about 30 lbs. of air pressure so it wasn't to hard on the compressor even though we put in a 14 hour day. It took about 2.5 gal. of the primer and it cost me about $31.00 a gal. Always wear a mask and ear protection. For reference my bus is 32ft. a 10in. roof raise and metaled over window openings for now. It is hard work but worth it. After the primer the top coat is up to you but the hard part will be done. Have fun.
Navistate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:35 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66

If you want to go the easy route (like me) you can just presand the rough spots (surface rust, impossible to remove lettering, etc...) primer over the original paint, then go to town with a short nap roller. I used industrial enamel with excellent results, stands up well to every day wear and tear...not nearly as durable as a pro job with clear coat, but will last several years if properly prepared and multiple coats (3 recommended, 2 minimum). I like this method because it lends itself to even to newest bussers with the least experience and it still doesn't look half-bad. DO NOT PAINT IN HUMID CONDITIONS OR WITH HIGH WINDS!
No_Loitering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I bought a cheap Hi Vol Low Pressure (HVLP) spray gun at Harbor Freight, and a hose. Since my bus has air brakes & it's own compressor I just plugged into the air tanks under the bus. I had to start the bus and build up air pressure every so often (the HVLP gun uses low pressure so I could spray for a while with hi pressure in the line with a pressure regulator to reduce it at the gun). I also used Rustoleum, thinned it down about 15% with Acetone...

I didn't do a lot of prep on mine, washed the bus first, then wipe it down with Acetone on a cloth. Paint has held nicey for 2 years now.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcnie
I plan on using ceramic additive in my paint job, but I was wondering if there is any reason why I couldn't use the ceramic with rustoleum... I'm thinking it shouldn't matter (ceramic works on a physical process, the rustoleum on a chemical one)... but please holler if I'm missing the obvious.

One question... planning on putting the additive on the exterior paint. does it have much added benefit adding it to the interior too?

Thanks folks
e.

example of ceramic paint here:
http://www.hytechsales.com/
A REVIVAL

Does anyone have the answer to this question?????
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote