Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
How many gallons - Ace Rust Stop

Hello! My partner and I are buying stuff to paint our bus tomorrow. We are going to go with the tint-able Ace Rust Stop paint. We are doing the roof (from the top of the windows up) all white, with the body a lighter blue and a few black accents on the rub rails. I am figuring that we will buy a gallon of the black, but I am not really sure how much of each color to buy. What did you guys that used Ace Rust Stop buy?

How many gallons for the roof?

Gallons for the body?

What about thinning. Did you use Acetone or Mineral Spirits? What ratio? We will be spraying the bus. I can also ask this to the guy at the store.

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=467346

www.LiveLoveTravelDream.com
White99z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:13 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: How many gallons - Ace Rust Stop

look at page 37 of my build to get an idea

the pebble (goldish color) will take 2 qts to do 2 coats of the two 4 inch wide strips around bus->this is a stock color so easy to buy more

the darker green, will be aalmost a whole gallon to do two+ coats

the lighter green we also got a gallon and that will be enough for where black is now plus roof

the green is all tinted so we bought gallons since it could be hard to mix it exactly the same

since I used paint brushes and hard foam rollers I didnt reduce/thin out and used mineral spirits to clean brushes and me

good luck
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
Skoolie

Thanks for the tips!!! Your bus is looking good

Old 08-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I also used ACE Rust Stop and won't again. I did not thin. I rolled on paint. My roof was a different material (Henry's SolarFlex - full bucket). I honestly don't remember and the only mention of the specific paint in my spreadsheet was for a final quart as I needed just a little extra. I know it was multiple gallons. I also used a lot of mineral spirits to clean my brushes and me. Proximity to a shower would have been nice as the mineral spirits cause me to blister and makes me sick.

The Rust Stop has not held up to the NM weather. NM is very rough on paint. It has faded several shades. The difference is very noticable. I could tell, by looking at it, that the paint had faded but until I put a paint chip that I had kept up next to it, I did not realize how much. For a few touchups needed, I ended up getting a close match using a fan deck I have. I am not happy with the Rust Stop. I used an oil based paint because I did not want to take the time to oil prime over the previous oil paint. If I had it to do over again (and I will in a couple of years), I would oil prime and then use a latex house paint. Latex is much easier to work with.

With the advances they have made in paint over the last few years and the additional knowledge I have acquired from the multitude of classes I have to take at Home Depot (I'm a certified paint associate and work the paint desk fulltime), I know a lot more about the oil and latex paints. I will be using the Marquee Exterior Latex paint on our bus and rolling on again. It's a one coat coverage (using their marquee colours), sheds dirt (the bus currently attracts and holds dirt like a magnet) and holds up to the weather brillantly.

Don't forget, with any paint, PREP IS EVERYTHING! Don't skimp on prepwork. Sand, Prime as needed. Don't paint in high temps (nothing over 90F and not more than 80F is better) or in wind.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #5
Skoolie

Thanks for the very informative post Lorna!

Old 02-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #6

Marquee paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske View Post
I will be using the Marquee Exterior Latex paint on our bus and rolling on again. It's a one coat coverage (using their marquee colours), sheds dirt (the bus currently attracts and holds dirt like a magnet) and holds up to the weather .
Hiya! Have you used this paint yet or has anyone else? I have heard its great but am worried about its durability on a full time rv style bus. I don't really want to use the rustoleum and would much rather use a tintable glossy exterior paint. Thank you!!!!
KrissyLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #7

Also, did you use a hardener? Or thinner? Or is that just for oil? Roll on? Thanks!
KrissyLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote