Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

How many speakers does the stereo feed?

I'm not referring to a stereo in the "living room", but rather the one the driver operates while driving (safely, of course). A regular car typically has four speakers, two in front and two in rear. How many speakers have any of you installed for your dash stereo? I will use an RV setup as a frame of reference.

stonestatue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Re: How many speakers does the stereo feed?

To answer your question they all work the same home or car. What it depends on is how much resistance each speaker has? It should be marked on the speaker itself. Typically home speakers are 8 ohms and cars are 4 ohms. Some of the newer sub woofers are lower in impeadance.

Your stereo (or amp) will be rated for some much power at some many ohms. For example my head unit in my truck is a JVC is rated MOS-FET 50W x 4 (20W RMS x 4) is what it can output. You can add more speakers but you take the risk of burning up the amp in the tuner.

Here is a website that may help? http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

Probably best bet if you are not use to calculating those things is one speaker per channel. You can also take them to a stereo shop and that can help you out in a hands on aspect?

Hope that helps
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Holy Cow! Guess I'll just have to sing to myself--way too complicated to worry about
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Do buses typically have four speakers, two, etc? How about RVs?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Jack,
Quote:
way too complicated to worry about
somehow I doubt that.

stonestatue,
Quote:
Do buses typically have four speakers
I didn't count, but somewhere around 8 to 10.
Mounted in the ceiling all the way back.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Again there are many ways to put in many speakers if that is what you want. Again get to the root of what you want to accomplish ... then we can work on the how to get it done part.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Bapos, thanks for your replies, but I was wanting to know what was typical for an RV or bus, not a technical write up. A stereo can be rated for something but a certain type of vehicle won't need to utilize the stereo's maximum rated output or every channel available. I was thinking an RV might be different than a typical car set up because of all the open space and the different acoustic environment, plus the passengers in an RV wouldn't have the same seating configuration as a passenger car. Maybe one speaker for the driver, one speaker for the front passenger, and one or two more for the rear plus a possible sub?

Again, I wasn't looking for the technical specifications of a typical stereo (I can look that up), I was looking for more general information like what is the typical speaker configuration of a class A motorhome.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Our Bluebird (40 ft) originally had 6 speakers. I wired 4 of them up (L/R pair at the front of the bus over the driver/entry and L/R in the galley) while we had the metal panels above the windows pulled out. I just hope they work since I didn't get a chance to check them out before we had to replace the panels. My auto stereo can handle 6 speakers but I didn't want a speaker in the bathroom and a speaker in the bedroom. The speaker hole in the bathroom will be used as a junction box for the ceiling light wiring. The ceiling lights link to each other so that is the point we pull the electric to them. Part will run from the bathroom towards the front. The rest will run from the bathroom to the back. The speaker hole in the bedroom will get a marine solar vent put thru it.

My plan is to hook the stereo up to the house batteries so that I have music while parked on shore power. The CB will also be on the same power line so that we can leave the weather channel turned on as needed. I've had a big tornado pass a tad too close with no way to know what was going on locally.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:30 AM   #9
Bus Geek

So much depends on what you want.
My wife is happy with 4 stock speakers in her truck,I have upgraded speakers,seperate tweeters and 2 10in subs...she hates my stereo.
Whaat kind of music do you listen to?
I listen to everything 1 min. Easy-E then maybe bob marley and finish with some celtic...throw insome old country mix it up with some jazz and orchestra stuff...so I have to be able to cover a lot of bases.

Typically you will want atleast R/L speakers that point toward your ears,you can listen to only one but it won't sound good to some people.

While parked just wanting some "background" music 4 speakers placed around the bus will work
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Bus Nut

I didnt mean to choke you with techincal info... I think this is one of the hardest things when helping people on here as you dont know their back ground. Having been a stereo guy since high school its sometimes hard to put in to words what I can show physically.

To answer your question easily.... 4. Theres usually front left and right... rear left and right. Thats the quick easy and dirty. Again I didnt mean to be harsh in any way.

For me... I plan on probably about dozen speakers between the inside and outside. Not all will be used all the time. I will control their on and off with a power switch from the amp that will run them.

If I can be of any help please ask.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Bapos, thanks once again. No worries. Are all your speakers going to run off the dash stereo, or are there going to be separate speakers in the back off of a separate stereo? I'll probably wind up putting two up front (driver and passenger) then two right behind each front seat, and possibly a sub. Or maybe ceiling speakers?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
Bus Nut

I probably wont run any of the speakers off the head unit at all. It doesnt put out very much power for my application. I am building more of a party/tailgate but so they will all run off amplifiers. i have some 2, 4, and 6 channel models I have used in other cars that have been shelved for bigger amps. This is a great way for me to use some of the older amps I have acculated over time.

I plan on running either a coaxial speaker ( either 6.5 and 1 inch tweet or maybe a 6x9) in the celiling for the mids and highs and 10's and 15's on the floor for the low end. The amps will run the proper frequencey to the speakers to get a more efficient use of the amps power. As I said earlier I will turn off some of those amps when not needed... it rattle peoples fillings when they want to rock out.

I think your setup will work with no issues. It just depends on how loud you want it to be. I am hoping when I insulate up it will quiet down my bus. As of right now its LOUD. Hard to hear ofer the gas engine cause at highway speed its buzzing like a chainsaw so I will over come it with more powerful amps cause head units typically dont put out much power.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #13
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Navistar
Chassis: International
Engine: Allison
Rated Cap: 60
Gunna raise this thread from the dead

Would it be better to:
A. run new system completely separate from the existing bus stereo?
B. Idk another option...
cullengw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by cullengw View Post
Gunna raise this thread from the dead