Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: How much do you drive your skoolie per year?
less than 500 miles per year 1 6.25%
500-1,500 miles per year 2 12.50%
1,500-4,000 miles per year 3 18.75%
4,000-8,000 miles per year 0 0%
over 8,000 miles per year! 2 12.50%
I consider it the weekend getaway vehicle to the lake/hunting/etc. 2 12.50%
I use it for vacations 2 12.50%
I use it for snowbirding/heading south in winter 0 0%
I full time 3 18.75%
Other 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Need bus-as-home over RV
Chassis: still looking
How much do you drive it? (& when does diesel 'pay')

How much do you drive your skoolie per year?

Is curious how this compares to normal RV users, whether there is any difference. Hopefully there's enough options, you can click more than one. (mostly intended for the bottom options)

Basically there's gasoline (worst mileage except for propane), diesel (which is better mileage and said to pay for itself at a certain # of miles per year, which is what this question really is) and WVO (which is another case of if you drive enough miles and get cheap or free WVO at some point you break even).

I'm trying to decide at what point the higher (usually) purchase price, maintenance costs (definately) and potential repair costs (massively) justify getting a diesel rig, and at what further point the WVO.

nearhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40
Re: How much do you drive it? (& when does diesel 'pay')

Whenever you drive it for however long if you are burning WVO over gas or diesel you are NOT producing over 20 different toxins that are known carcinogens. Tis true that WVO has the best payback since it is almost always free, it cleans the dino-deposits out of your engine(which probably increases the life of your engine), and from a world market stand-point is reducing the overall impact in a huge way. It's use is recycling. It is not a newly produced/transported/double-taxed/war-inducing fuel. All-right war inducing may be a little heavy but it sort of is. The WVO is really not the best for stop-and-go commuting either although some will argue that point depending on the length and type of commute. The reason that fire-house have those hoses that hook up to the engines tail-pipes is because there have been multiple cases of firefighters developing different cancers that have been linked to the benzyne that infiltrates the bunkhouses and bays of the firehouse itself. The plain truth is that burning petroleum products is poisonous. So, the payback can be measured in many ways!
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote