Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
In the end its all about the end result and quality You want. If your happy with it and it doesn't get anyone hurt. Man I'm happy for ya.

It does matter how thrifty of a shopper you are too.

montanatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:08 PM   #42
Bus Nut

MUCH better built!

Imagine what your typical Class A would look like after this encounter.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:05 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephod_beeblebrox2 View Post
Wow $20k on conversion??? I think my conversion is $3k-$3k
Quote:
My bus was $4k. My bus has actual rooms with real walls. Nothing cobbled together there.
Quote:
Yup. I looked when the figure of $250k was mentioned about motorhome s. Turns out the majority are under $70K.

Mine is probably coming in at $6-$7k.
So what number is it really? Can't even remember what you posted the day before?

Quote:
I can see the way this forum has deteriorated, if I say the sky is blue I'll get slagged off and told its pink.
No, you just need to think before posting.

You have lost all credibility here. No one is going to trust anything you post due to your own actions.

My advice is delete your user name and start over with a completely new attitude and understanding.

You aren't the first member to do so, and you won't be the last. Take the advice, it's intended to help you.

This forum is not deteriorating. It's getting better and better as time passes.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:15 AM   #44
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dond View Post
MUCH better built!

Imagine what your typical Class A would look like after this encounter.
Get out of the way bus I got important train stuff to do!
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hmmm...maybe we should all be converting locomotives?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #46
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Hmmm...maybe we should all be converting locomotives?
This is off topic but funny you should mention that. I keep thinking there has to be some way to eliminate the whole driveline and mount an industrial grade electrical motor to the drive axle input. Then a more fuel efficient microturbine turns a genset to power the motor and supplementary battery pack. It'll basically be a 30' Prius! Microturbines run most efficiently at constant high speed so regardless of how fast the vehicle is traveling the powerplant runs at peak efficiency and any surplus power is stored for high-demand loads like acceleration.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_blue View Post
This is off topic but funny you should mention that. I keep thinking there has to be some way to eliminate the whole driveline and mount an industrial grade electrical motor to the drive axle input. Then a more fuel efficient microturbine turns a genset to power the motor and supplementary battery pack. It'll basically be a 30' Prius! Microturbines run most efficiently at constant high speed so regardless of how fast the vehicle is traveling the powerplant runs at peak efficiency and any surplus power is stored for high-demand loads like acceleration.
Hell ya.

I'm all for trying new things.

Electric car forum would be the place to start researching parts for that.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 09-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Just forget the whole turbine idea, the only reason to use a turbine is if you need an insane amount of HP and have a size or weight limitation, or you are very rich and just like the sound turbines are not fuel efficient compared to piston engines and locomotives are diesel electric because they have never really come up with a mechanical drivetrain that can handle the power and torque needed to start a 5000 ton train moving and last anytime at all (other than direct drive steam). The railroads experimented with turbines, it used about 5 times as much fuel as the current diesel electric locomotives do and the noise level was incredible.
Our city has hybrid busses, they cost $100,000 more than a standard bus and are expected to save about $10,000 in fuel over their expected life, not a good trade off in my book
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Just forget the whole turbine idea, the only reason to use a turbine is if you need an insane amount of HP and have a size or weight limitation, or you are very rich and just like the sound turbines are not fuel efficient compared to piston engines and locomotives are diesel electric because they have never really come up with a mechanical drivetrain that can handle the power and torque needed to start a 5000 ton train moving and last anytime at all (other than direct drive steam). The railroads experimented with turbines, it used about 5 times as much fuel as the current diesel electric locomotives do and the noise level was incredible.

Our city has hybrid busses, they cost $100,000 more than a standard bus and are expected to save about $10,000 in fuel over their expected life, not a good trade off in my book
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #50
Bus Nut

I understand what you're saying and maybe the turbine powerplant isn't the right way to go, especially considering as you mentioned that locomotives are diesel-electric and not turbine-electric. If it was superior they would have gone that way long ago. I still like the diesel-electric idea though if for no other reason than as an excuse to build a better mousetrap so to speak.

Sorry to have hijacked this thread, I promise if there's any more to say I'll start a new topic.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #51
Bus Nut

NAH it would take a turbine generator to make a electric drive bus plausible. I don't think the cost of the jet engine need to make that would make up for all the gas you could use in a life time.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Oh idunno...

https://youtu.be/MVXWGBgYj3MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
NAH it would take a turbine generator to make a electric drive bus plausible. I don't think the cost of the jet engine need to make that would make up for all the gas you could use in a life time.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:53 PM   #53
Bus Nut

I did a quick calculation based on what he said and its like 114 Kilowatt hours of power to go 100ish miles thats, well I don't know, but the generator need would still be big really big. To go a couple of hundred miles in a day. If it becomes feasible on my budget, say twice the cost of a re-power, I would totally do it.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:04 AM   #54
Bus Geek

We already have electric buses.

Just use that as a reference, ditch that battery bank, and replace with a generator that can push the amps needed.

We have one at work. She go's pretty darn good.

https://www.facebook.com/lionbus

Lion bus electric school bus video - TM4

My taxes funded these things. Alberta pays transfer payments to Quebec. The Quebec government funded over 500 million to get the ball rolling.

Nat

Old 09-12-2015, 12:20 AM   #55
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe-T Liner MVP
Engine: 12V Cummins
Rated Cap: 75
Great Point - Safety is incomparable...

Yea the smart a** answers are getting old. I find myself checking in less and less - considered deleting today but gonna keep checking in.

I can say this - these smart mouth answers and scoldings wouldn't last but a second or two face to face - I don't have the patience for a smart mouth know it all.
USMCRockinRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:35 AM   #56
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRockinRV View Post
Great Point - Safety is incomparable...

Yea the smart a** answers are getting old. I find myself checking in less and less - considered deleting today but gonna keep checking in.

I can say this - these smart mouth answers and scoldings wouldn't last but a second or two face to face - I don't have the patience for a smart mouth know it all.
I'm not to sure where that came from or who it was directed to.

You need a few more post's in your quote so we can follow what your thinking.

Nat