Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
My bus was $4k. My bus has actual rooms with real walls. Nothing cobbled together there.

Zephod_beeblebrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:23 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephod_beeblebrox2 View Post
Wow $20k on conversion??? I think my conversion is $3k-$3k
Good to hear! I really don't want to be putting in that kind of money into my project.
djexentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by djexentrix View Post
Good to hear! I really don't want to be putting in that kind of money into my project.
I advise you to look at his posts and credibility before believe anything he rights.

His bus is the most dangerous conversion we have seen on this site in a long time. That and he is far from done.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
I advise you to look at his posts and credibility before believe anything he rights.

His bus is the most dangerous conversion we have seen on this site in a long time. That and he is far from done.

Nat
Thanks Nat I appreciate the advice. I'm still hoping I can stay below 10k for what I need. That being said I own a home an know just how quickly projects can add up.
djexentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:

Nat
I think you need to examine that chip on your shoulder.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:42 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
You need to get your act together and take a good look in the mirror.

Many new members here are willing to believe anything they read.

Please stop misleading people with false info.

This is why I bring real info backed by real credibility.

I'm not some newbie that just strolled in.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 09-09-2015, 10:45 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
You need to get your act together and take a good look in the mirror.

Many new members here are willing to believe anything they read.

Please stop misleading people with false info.

Nat
Pot calls kettle....
Old 09-09-2015, 11:32 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Well he IS president of the whole galaxy! Even I know who Zephod Beeblebrox is...
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:22 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_blue View Post
Well he IS president of the whole galaxy! Even I know who Zephod Beeblebrox is...
That and he clearly has had one too many Pan-Galactic Gargalblasters.

Look Zephod's choices are not what I would suggest if you wanted to live in the conversion for more than a week or two a year and has knowingly or unknowingly left safety and durability by the wayside long ago.

Nat_ster is very opinionated, fairly knowledgeable, and quick to make his opinions known. He will also not listen to people with goals and opinions different than his own (or if he does he won't say it, must be an aries).

Mr SomewhereintheUSA's bus it a top notch A+ conversion. You could easily convert a bus into a good weekender for $3-5k depending on what you want.
things that don't matter as much if it is just a camping enabler are:
Electricity: if it is just a glorified self propelled tent camper and you are using a cooler and a Coleman stove an old car battery and low voltage lighting from a yard sale is all you need. If you want to live in it for months and years it will cost $3-4k to have a safe, durable semi self sufficient power system.

Insulation: If you say to yourself I've slept on the ground in a tent in colder weather than this, I can make it 2 weeks in here. You might not need to spend a dime on insulation. However if it is you home for long durations spend $2k on spray foam you will save on heating and cooling, and generally live better.

Bathrooms: You can use the campgrounds facilities for FREE, or crap in a home depot bucket for $10. like wise you can purchase a composting toilet, or a black water tank and a flushing toilet and a custom shower surround...

Kitchens: there are many a bus that have little more than 5 gallon bucket (don't get this confused with your poo bucket) and a $20 butane stove. Or you could have an 4 burner induction cooktop and convection oven with a marble counter top and sink.

These differences are why some people will always turn their nose at a skoolie as the can be as dodgy as worn out school bus stripped of its seats and filled with random 5 gallon buckets, to a master piece made from an old crown with custom everything that cost more to build than the entire GDP of a small island nation. That said a damn fine conversion that you (and your family ) can be really proud of yeah about $30k seams right, Also just like a house you don't have to spend this all at once. You can start by crapping into a bucket and build you way into a custom marble shower.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:42 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I like this answer it is well thought out. All conversions are different and will cost ultimately whatever you determine they are worth committing to.

Nat, I think you could tone down the rhetoric a bit. Zaphod has asked a lot of questions that unfamiliar or new folks might ask. In those other threads they have solicited well thought out answers, including yours.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:19 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post

Look Zephod's choices are not what I would suggest if you wanted to live in the conversion for more than a week or two a year and has knowingly or unknowingly left safety and durability by the wayside long ago.

Nat_ster is very opinionated, fairly knowledgeable, and quick to make his opinions known. He will also not listen to people with goals and opinions different than his own (or if he does he won't say it, must be an aries).

Mr SomewhereintheUSA's bus it a top notch A+ conversion. You could easily convert a bus into a good weekender for $3-5k depending on what you want.
Electricity: if it is just a glorified self propelled tent camper and you are using a cooler and a Coleman stove an old car battery and low voltage lighting from a yard sale is all you need. If you want to live in it for months and years it will cost $3-4k to have a safe, durable semi self sufficient power system.

Insulation: If you say to yourself I've slept on the ground in a tent in colder weather than this, I can make it 2 weeks in here. You might not need to spend a dime on insulation. However if it is you home for long durations spend $2k on spray foam you will save on heating and cooling, and generally live better.

Bathrooms: You can use the campgrounds facilities for FREE, or crap in a home depot bucket for $10. like wise you can purchase a composting toilet, or a black water tank and a flushing toilet and a custom shower surround...

Kitchens: there are many a bus that have little more than 5 gallon bucket (don't get this confused with your poo bucket) and a $20 butane stove. Or you could have an 4 burner induction cooktop and convection oven with a marble counter top and sink.

These differences are why some people will always turn their nose at a skoolie as the can be as dodgy as worn out school bus stripped of its seats and filled with random 5 gallon buckets, to a master piece made from an old crown with custom everything that cost more to build than the entire GDP of a small island nation. That said a damn fine conversion that you (and your family ) can be really proud of yeah about $30k seams right, Also just like a house you don't have to spend this all at once. You can start by crapping into a bucket and build you way into a custom marble shower.

Well said.

I used to type long, detailed posts like this, but don't have the patience at the moment.

So there you have it. If you just want a unmodified steel tent, it can be done for 3 to 5 K.

Nat

Old 09-10-2015, 01:56 AM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Can I say that I get the biggest kick out of these threads. Not only do I get to learn great tips in many of them but I get to enjoy the heart and passion that everyone has for there project.

Right now my skoolie is just a yellow wannabe converted masterpiece. Hopefully in time it will be a place of peace and refuge that not only represents my character and style but will also represent a hole breed of "do it your self-sufficient willing to figure it out capable people" who believe in doing something for them selves and enjoying it.

I hope that as a community we can inspire others.

But seriously take real considerations in your build about safety. Most of us are taking our family around in these things.

I estimate that the interior will be 5-10k in the end. exterior could be 10-15k. Only time will tell.

If it's completely done under 40k. I win. Saved 200k
montanatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:50 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post

This is a great post!!

I have about 5 grand in my bus so far including purchase price. I figure by time I raise roof and put in flooring I'll have about 7 grand in it. I really don't see my conversion costing more than 10 to 12 total.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:03 AM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Long rambling answer

Cost per mile w/conversion $4.30 Total cost $34,541.49

I've pretty much finished the update on my spreadsheet, not much changed except the two figures above. I'm sure I have left something off, I can't find the figures for the water heater or the Xantrex.

Just a few words of explanation.
I'M CHEAP, when I eat out I order water because all other drinks cost too much. I very, very seldom hire anyone to do anything. If I can't do it, it doesn't get done.
I'm retired, don't have any money to throw around.
I've been around the rv business for 25 years, pulled them, hauled them, and picked up the pieces that fell off of them both inside and out.
Even if I wanted one there is no way that I could go out and buy a quarter of a million dollar pusher diesel motorhome. Even though my bus isn't finished yet, it's paid for and usable. I scour the internet looking for things to use in my build that are cheaper or better than the crappy plastic that rv's are generally built out of, even those $250,000 ones.
MINE IS PAID FOR.
My heating system is better than found in those, I haven't heard of any that has in floor radiant heat. My son, who designs motorhomes, told me that his newest bus conversion is going to have the kind of heat and AC that I used.
I could have done things a lot cheaper and less complex for a lot less money, Over the years, My wife and I have slept in tents, pickup trucks, semi trucks and station wagons. DW didn't like any of those, she likes the bus,but when it was just a metal tent she wouldn't go. To her if she can't take her knitting along and not know she isn't home she won't go. The last trip in the bus she VOLUNTEERED, that she had a good time.
If anyone wants to see ALL of the items that add up to those figures the spreadsheet can be viewed here. Many of the rv specific items were purchased at one of the many excellent rv surplus stores in the Elkhart, IN area.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:57 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
To put it in perspective, when I first stated looking for a motor home, I looked at skoolies and doing it myself, when I got the chance to buy an old bluebird wanderlodge (1982 FC35) for $8000, I jumped on it, plumbing all worked, electrical all good except a few bad 12 volt fluorescent fixtures, almost new gas/electric refrigerator, just very worn in the inside. I figured correctly that I could not buy and convert a school bus for that price, my school bus is going to be a steel tent motorcycle hauler
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
To put it in perspective, when I first stated looking for a motor home, I looked at skoolies and doing it myself, when I got the chance to buy an old bluebird wanderlodge (1982 FC35) for $8000, I jumped on it, plumbing all worked, electrical all good except a few bad 12 volt fluorescent fixtures, almost new gas/electric refrigerator, just very worn in the inside. I figured correctly that I could not buy and convert a school bus for that price, my school bus is going to be a steel tent motorcycle hauler
Yup. I looked when the figure of $250k was mentioned about motorhome s. Turns out the majority are under $70K.

Mine is probably coming in at $6-$7k.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:11 PM   #37
Bus Nut

A good diesel class A new is easily going over $100K, have you looked through at new motorhomes?
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #38
Bus Nut

I can see the way this forum has deteriorated, if I say the sky is blue I'll get slagged off and told its pink.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:18 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

There's a big difference between a true truck chassis vehicle and a standard motorhome.

I couldn't imagine building on one of those light duty oversized frames that used single rears and FRP walls. I watched a branch break off a tree and total one at a campground once. I couldn't believe how cheaply it was constructed. the guy said it cost him 90k. 29' flatnose.

I've also seen the pictures of an entire section of a school gymnasium wall crumbled over a school bus and it had broken glass and dents. It was still structurally sound.

Any decent class c chassis RV I've seen lately has a price tag over 100k new and they skyrocket from there.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:30 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

rv drove of road.

school bus after tornado.

One reason we love skoolies. better built.