Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Skoolie

How much should I be asking

Hi guys,

A friend has a 1986 bluebird Chevy with 83,939 miles. I guess a guy he knew drove it from colorado springs to utah, then just left it in this guys pasture, and never came back. It has the ignition key in it, I turned it the other day, guess there is some juice in the battery because it starting beeping.

Body looks good. It is a 60 passenger, all glass is good, tires seem ok. still has all the seats in it. I have no idea what engine is in it. There are a couple of inside panels missing where the insulation is. They maybe on the bus some where, but I wasn't going to go in too far. Figured if it had been sitting there in the pasture, there were probably a rodent or two in it. And I hate rodents.

My friend will have to get a title to it.

Any ideas what I should be asking for it?

Thanks, Jackie

Mulelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: How much should I be asking

we paid $1400 for ours. 1986 BB All American FE
DD engine

And it has a title to it.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

if your looking to get it off him cheap offer 500.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

I paid $1000 for mine w/ title... Unless it's in great condition, ready to drive with a clean title in hand, you're probably not gonna get much...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: T444E/Allison pusher
Rated Cap: 79

Hello , new to this site myself, first post, I just paid 3900 for a '97 amtran flat front , diesel pusher, runs and drives perfect and it already is titled as a RV
gseufzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

ya, gotta figure out what the title getting stuff costs. dont have that where im from so i havent a clue lol.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I figured mine to be worth 2000.00 if I was to scrap it out, that one would scrap at about 1200-1500.00, I know thats sacrilidge, but a reality , I own a metal fabrication business in tampa so we send alot of scrap, getting $12.50 per hundred lbs right now for steel. getting a title may be a real pain and you would need one even to scrap it out
Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

And don't forget the time involved in getting the title. I've know folks that have bought untitled vehicles. Sometimes it takes a month, sometimes they can NEVER get a title. I used to have a boyfriend would would fix up cars for street racing. They would go to a wrecking yard and buy titles. Of course that was illegal and Omec (Auto Recyclers) did get caught doing that.... and for having several stolen cars on their property. But it didn't put them out of business. But to legally get a title is a PITA. That's why it is so hard to sell a vehicle without a title and why they are so cheap. Your friend needs to get a bill of sale from his friend or contact the DMV about the abandoned vehicle. I believe it has to be abandoned for 1 year, depending on your state.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
Skoolie

Thanks for the input guys. I will pass it on.

Jackie
Mulelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DTA 360, Fuller 6-speed
Rated Cap: 53

You need a title to scrap a whole vehicle. You do not need a title to scrap parts. In Indiana I've done it many times--the body and frame have to be seperated, or the subframes pulled from a body on a unibody. On a bust, just cut it up into trailer-sized chunks and haul it off. It's not sacrelige--there's not exactly a shortage of busses and never will be as long as schools are required to get rid of them or increase inspection intervals as they age. Newer buses have better everything and are safer so I wouldn't feel bad cutting up an old bus. Unless it was a REALLY old bus in useable condition.

$12.50 is twice what I've ever seen. At that price I would scrap it if you don't have plans for it. Maybe you can get the fire dept to do jaws of life training on it.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

will , i get a premium for my scrap since i am a commercial fabricator, you can too to some extent. make sure your whole load has no part or pc that would not fit into a 2'x2'x4'long box. next demand that your load is #1 material.they normally wont voluteer that info. we put our scrap into bins 4' square so its easy to see the size of any and all of the pcs. the last load we took brought 11.75 a hundred. it helps also that we normally take only clean unpainted high grade structural steel.