Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
How much should I sell my bus for?

Well, it's come down to it. I haven't worked on my bus in months. Today, I got orders and we're moving to Alaska right after the new year. It's 4,000 miles from here and there's no way I'm driving my bus up there. HA! I want to sell it and hopefully get one when I get to Alaska. Still, I'm wondering what I should ask for it and wanted to see what you guys think? I bought the bus almost two years ago for $2,000. It's a 93 International Carpenter and has the 7.3L diesel motor in it. The tires are in okay shape. I've totally gutted the interior, installed an insulated floor, painted the inside, tinted the windows, installed a new drivers seat, and of course, painted the outside. All of the work is pretty nicely done I have to say. But I put a LOT of work into it. The bus runs great. Fires right up, runs and drives great. Basically, it's ready to build in. Somebody could turn it into an RV or a party bus. It has 174,000 miles on it too. I have a while to sell it. I don't need to be in a rush just yet. Should I try E-bay? I'm not real crazy about E-bay. Craigslist works for me though. What would you guys start your asking price at if you were in my situation? I have some numbers in my head, but I want to see what you guys think? Thanks!
Matt

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: How much should I sell my bus for?

why not drive it to alaska?

how much is it worth? or how much is someone willing to pay for it?

it does have a killer paint job!

on ebay i bet you could get upwards of $5K for it. CL...well, it depends on the local economy.

best way i've found to increase the value of a skoolie is to install a jacuzzi. the actual value increases from $3,500 to $18,500 with the one modification.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

i would not sell that bus for 5k if the paint and tint job look as good close as it does in the picture thats a 5k body job if done nicely with auto paint easy that paint job might keep ya warm up there nice bus
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Before you sell it......price a replacement in AK. Everything is more expensive there, including vehicles. You'll be money ahead to keep it & drive it (unless you just don't want it anymore). Besides, it'll come in handy when moving posessions. If you got "orders".....aren't your moving expenses being paid??

Smitty
Yes, everything is paid for by the Air Force. I could use the bus to move all of my stuff and the Air Force would pay for it. But I have to drive up there in January or February. It can get down to 50 degrees below zero out there. It's also 4,000 miles from here. Most people are recommending that I don't even drive my brand new car up there. My bus tops out around 55mph and it has 176,000 miles on it. I'm just not sure that I'd trust it to go 4,000 miles. If I slid off the road in the Yukon in the middle of the night (which is about 20 hours long that time of year), with all of my stuff, I'd really be screwed. I mean, Jason thought he was screwed when he got his bus stuck on the beach in Texas. That's nothing compared to sliding off a dirt road with your wife and kids, hundreds of miles from anywhere in the pitch black night and freezing cold. My tires aren't in that great of shape. Not for driving on ice anyways. I really don't want to sell it, but it's looking like my best option right now. There's no guarantee that I'll even come back here after my 4 years in Alaska is up. I might wind up in Germany. I can have an extra vehicle shipped to Alaska. My current bus is way too big. But if I bought a short bus, I might get away with having it shipped up there. HA! Anyways, I thought getting $5K for it would be great! If somebody came up to me with $5K in cash right now, I'd sell it. Who knows what I'll do when the time to leave gets closer. I might try Craigslist first since it's easier, but E-bay eventually. I'm leaving to go overseas tomorrow. I'll be back in a couple weeks and start getting serious about all of this stuff.
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 454

If you want to hold on to it, you might want to see about storing it until summer and offering someone a "free ride" to Alaska to drive it up there for you. I know there have to be more than a few folks who would love the opportunity to drive up to Alaska if you paid the fuel up and the ferry ride back. Sounds like the ultimate adventure for a college kid.

Just a thought.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 454

bender,

I see your point, but not ALL college kids are irresponsible.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
Bus Geek

you buy the fuel and i'll drive it to alaska and find my own way home!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ward flat nose
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466 mt643 air ride
Rated Cap: 84

KC10, why not drive it Seattle and then put it on a ferry for the trip to Alaska. Then if you want to sell it, which you may not want to by that time, you can get a good price for it up there. Just a thought, of what I would do. Once you consider the shipping cost vs the cost of Canada's diesel fuel, you may find shipping it by ferry or barge is cheaper.
kotflb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1961
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: SDM 4501
Engine: 6V71
Rated Cap: 45

As a newbie to this site/ organization, I would have to agree with some of the longer-standing members, in that you ought to consider keeping it and planning an "extended vacation" so you can drive it up there. Don't let 15 or so years and 176,000 miles deter you from taking a long road trip. My wife and I recently traveled cross-country, bringing home our newly-purchased 47 year old, nearly million-mile coach, and we encountered no problems. What is more, we had the absolute time of our lives doing so!! Keep the bus.....besides, you have one of the tightest "flame jobs" I have seen - especially on a motor coach!
Zcommanager is offline   Reply With Quote