Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 12:36 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie View Post
The recommendation I got from a local truck driver who works with diesel engines for a living was to start her up at least twice a week and let her run for a half hour after she's been winterized. So is this recommendation wrong?
Thats nothing but a waste of fuel.

opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #22

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Thats nothing but a waste of fuel.
Probably not his truck or fuel. Same douche that will pull in next to you and run his truck all night long when it is 68 degrees.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
The mechanic you talked to wants your stuff to break down so he has a job.

Plain and simple.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:46 AM   #24

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Navistar International
Chassis: FE 300
Engine: DT 466E 7.6L
Rated Cap: 32000
So drive my bus around every two weeks so the tires don't get a flat spot, I'm not sure how long it takes for that to happen but Im sure its different for every bus. I take it down the road where I can get up to 50+ for about 30 sec to 1 min. The trip is about 15 min total. Do you guys recommend driving it longer or just letting it sit for the next 4 months. Also what's the reason for draining the air tanks?
BZRoamin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:22 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZRoamin24 View Post
So drive my bus around every two weeks so the tires don't get a flat spot, I'm not sure how long it takes for that to happen but Im sure its different for every bus. I take it down the road where I can get up to 50+ for about 30 sec to 1 min. The trip is about 15 min total. Do you guys recommend driving it longer or just letting it sit for the next 4 months. Also what's the reason for draining the air tanks?
For the driving question, I always drive mine on the freeway to get them fully heated up. The goal is to heat the engine enough that any moisture/condensation inside the engine is vaporized.

Moisture is also the reason for draining the air tanks. As your vehicle (or any shop) compressor squishes the air in the cylinder, it heats that air. When it then flows into the cooler lines and tank, that moisture condenses out and eventually the tank will collect water in the bottom of the tank. Left there long enough, it will rust your tanks. Even before that, enough water in the tanks will lead to water getting into your brakes and air springs.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote