Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Skoolie

how to change shocks?

so i went to re attach my shocks and find them too short....im assuming i have to compress the leaf springs? what the best and safest way to do this. th bus is already on soft ground and loaded. i heard the shock nut cant be reused either, is this true? thanks

adamanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: how to change shocks?

With the exception of some higher dollar offroad stuff your shocks should never be the limiting factor in your suspension travel. That would lead me to believe you have the wrong shocks. With the bus sitting on the ground you should find that the shock absorber is about centered in its travel. I have seen a few that are 33/66 split one way or the other, but usually not more than that. Take the old shocks back to the parts store with you so they can measure.

As for the nuts and bolts...I see no reason why you couldn't reuse them assuming they are still in decent condition. Most people just don't because they have to torch the darn things off. It is suspension u-bolts that can't be reused.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
It is suspension u-bolts that can't be reused.
but they usually get cut off too!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
Skoolie

they arent attatched ... i changed the entire rear axle and leaf springs so i don't know what length i need. i was trying to reuse the ones i had but... i was told i need to pull the bus down to the level where the struts will attach?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 92
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamanderr
they arent attatched ... i changed the entire rear axle and leaf springs so i don't know what length i need. i was trying to reuse the ones i had but... i was told i need to pull the bus down to the level where the struts will attach?

if you "pull the bus down" until you can attach the shocks then the springs will be constantly trying to tear the shocks apart and they will quickly succeed, if I am reading you correctly you have installed a different rear so the stock shocks no longer fit, with the bus sitting normally on level ground measure the distance between your mounts and go the parts store with that distance and they should be able to set you up with something that will work
bbbrt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
Skoolie

thanks for the replies
yes the the bus is sitting on the new leafsprings and wheels on semi flat ground 3degrees off maybe,
i should just give them the measurements at say napa and they'll know what to do.

is it an issue that putting on the new running gear has raised the body too much making it handle unsafely, higher center of gravity?

and what sorts of torque on the hardware.
thanks
Old 12-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I'd just give those springs some time to settle. I bet the bus will drop a full inch or two. As for the torque...just use a 3/8 drive ratchet and go to town. I'm not aware of any particular torque specs other than "tight enough" and "not too tight."