Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: ?
Engine: ?
Rated Cap: 67
Re: How to correctly interconnect multiple batteries

Excellent info! Thanks

cdemaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

I had never seen method #4, but it makes sense. I would not recommend method #3 without a device designed to join multiple wires. (I have one or two in the shop, I'll get a pic and post it later.) I had always warned about method #1 and preferred method #2, but now you've got me thinking.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

All of the diagrams are for 12V batteries. If you are using 6V batteries, the wiring will have to be different. Each pair of 6V batteries will have to be wired in series first to create 12V, then they can be paralleled together with more battery pairs. How many are you using Smitty?
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I've got 4-12v-255AH AGMs

Smitty
Nice! I am planning on using FOUR 6V Trojans or equivalent. Mostly due to cost. That should give me about 450AH of total capacity. Not quite the 1000+ AH that you will get, but enough for a few days at a time.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #5

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Good info. I will come back to this. I don't really understand #4, but that don't matter.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by emberglow
...We'll be going with #3, for two reasons. Firstly, an odd number of batteries in our bank means #4 won't work. Also each battery connected into the bank separately means any individual battery can be more easily disconnected or removed for whatever reason without having to take the whole bank offline.
This isn't actually that hard to wire up, just build a couple buss bars, one for + and one for -. Take a piece of 1/4 inch flat iron and drill enough holes to attach bolts to use as binding studs. Then attach the ends to a block of WOOD or other insulating material and make a cover for it out of Plexi or Lexan. Simple and it works!
Old 05-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I saw something really neat on "Holmes on Homes" last night. The guy put in 600 watts worth of solar panels on the roof of the house and 10kW worth of batteries in the basement. The really neat thing was the way they tied all the batteries together. They had these prefab metal 'battery bars' that they just bolted all the batteries together with. They had straight ones and angled ones. They appeared to be made specifically for the battery size they were using and made it super easy to hook up. They appeared to be about an inch wide and 1/4 inch thick. This would eliminate the need to crimp lugs on the end of wires, but make sure you DO NOT drop a wrench in there!!!