Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
The beautiful part of buying a school bus and converting it to something you want is that you can do just that.

Some like to do certain things - others like to do something else. There is no right or wrong way.

Attachment 18930
I, too, kept all windows - there is no leaking - I use reflectix on the inside to keep the heat out during the hot summer or in during the cold winter - if needed - but usually have them open - I like the natural light. The door, I just like the door - it does get colder down there - but hasn't ever been a big issue. If it gets really cold - I have a few extra blankets. But I like the camping aspect.

A lot of what you do will depend on what you want and where you will be. I plan to travel north in the summer and south in the winter - so insulating or replacing windows did not seem needed. I am happy with how things turned out. I like it looking like a school bus - (but green).

Attachment 18931
I removed the stop sign and put it in the bathroom - I use it as a bathroom light - the only thing that I think you have to remove is the "school" lettering.
In most states that I have researched, the only regulation is that you can't control traffic - so the lights can't function as a school bus (alternating flashing ambers or reds - and no stop sign extending out (you can leave the sign and paint it a different color (I believe the red with "STOP" in white may not be a looked on the exterior).
I am sure some states may not allow the lights at all - but I have not seen anything in writing about that from a state agency.

I look forward to seeing your bus!
this guy has it right!!.. im not sure what a souless RV is...

the busses here.. everyone here is doing something different to their bus.. everything from coaches to city busses,airport shuttles, school busses all being transformed into dasily drivers, campers, homes, tool vans, mobile repair rigs, food trucks, and the list goes on.. some emphasizinbg mechanics, others electronics, or structure, interior finishes, green-factor, again the list goes on.. no one is constrained to "it cant look like a bus" or "it has to look like a bus".. just build it.. its yours.. not theirs...

onto "souless" RVs.. the only "souless" RV's are the brand new shiny ones with the stickers and the new wood smell.. sitting on dealers' lots.. they are only souless until someone comes along and says "i'll take it".. and off it goes.. to the ski slope, or beach, or roadtrip with friends to a concert, a race, florida for the winter, coure-de-laine for a car show, and each mile on thise tires it gains soul... you put the soul into the bus, RV, home. car. etc that you build...
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:15 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: handy
Engine: e450 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
this guy has it right!!.. im not sure what a souless RV is...

the busses here.. everyone here is doing something different to their bus.. everything from coaches to city busses,airport shuttles, school busses all being transformed into dasily drivers, campers, homes, tool vans, mobile repair rigs, food trucks, and the list goes on.. some emphasizinbg mechanics, others electronics, or structure, interior finishes, green-factor, again the list goes on.. no one is constrained to "it cant look like a bus" or "it has to look like a bus".. just build it.. its yours.. not theirs...

onto "souless" RVs.. the only "souless" RV's are the brand new shiny ones with the stickers and the new wood smell.. sitting on dealers' lots.. they are only souless until someone comes along and says "i'll take it".. and off it goes.. to the ski slope, or beach, or roadtrip with friends to a concert, a race, florida for the winter, coure-de-laine for a car show, and each mile on thise tires it gains soul... you put the soul into the bus, RV, home. car. etc that you build...
-Christopher
stone21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
That Christoper fellow I can't relate to him he just makes too much sense
Old 02-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Cadillackid sorry I spelled your name wrong for some reason I couldn't edit it. Gene
Old 02-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I thought it was just a speech impediment.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Not hardly it's a brain impediment
Old 02-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Maybe if I rephrased "soul" as the Pride of accomplishment it will clarify what I am trying to say.
Still have no use for staple and stick anything.
Fiberglass ain't much better.
One can certainly be proud of the Motorhome that you buy off of the lot, it is big and beautiful but the pride that you have in something you have dreamed of and brought to fruition is the stronger draw for me.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #28
Almost There

Year: 1989
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 84 pass 36200 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
pengyou has posted numerous queries and has yet to act on any of our responses.

He's beginning to look like a troll.
Actually he said he wanted to do a poll, looks like a lot of people felt the need to to discuss this.
snonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Thanks for all of your responses. I was out of town for a couple of days and can't access this site unless I am on the computer in my apartment (which has a vvvppppppnnnn). I appreciate your responses, as well as dozens of responses to other questions I have asked. I am 70% sure that I want to go the skoolie route now, so it is a matter of waiting, while still educating myself. The bank account says that spring of 2019 is the time to move, though I am trying to find a way to make that happen sooner.

Your responses have made me think. I am not trying to avoid a bus/coach look but rather just the "school" part of "school bus" - certainly not trying to stir something up here (I had no idea that there were such passions about the subject). Part of the reason is that, based on posts I have read in other places, school looking school busses are more likely to be denied access to camping places than converted busses/coaches. Another reason is that, after doing an inventory of what I like and don't like, privacy comes up near the top of the list and keeping all of the windows in a bus would make me feel like a fish in a bowl. It is possible that I will spend only half of the year in the bus - it is possible that I will live in it almost all year. If I spend the whole year, then I have to be more careful about my "fearless inventory" of needs.
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I know several folks who have converted earlier model Blue Bird All Americans into full blown WanderLodge look-a-likes. One even got his titled here in Texas as a new Blue Bird motor coach which his banker said was good for a $250K loan! He had a total of about $25 grand in it.

For many years the Lodge & the BBAA were built on exactly the same chassis and running gear and share the same basic sheet metal. A little paint and some windows & trim turn them into "respectable" RV's.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #31
Bus Geek

I didn't know we were trying to be respectable. Seems like kind of a long shot.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I didn't know we were trying to be respectable. Seems like kind of a long shot.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog 5651 View Post
3 tone Metalflake Paint Alloy Wheels 4 on the floor and a rear spoiler Oh! it will still look like a Skoolie shoulda bought a Prevost
LMAO

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #34
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3 Allison MD3060
Speaking of doors and not putting on a house door, can anyone point me in the direction to get the type of door they use on the blood mobiles or book mobiles?

I am looking for a front door similar to this one, but my google searches haven't come up with anything close... :/
Attached Thumbnails
CEB73642-31B5-45D6-9327-8075B04AC76F_zpsa9afnjvz.jpg  
Attached Images

JamieJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJackson View Post
Speaking of doors and not putting on a house door, can anyone point me in the direction to get the type of door they use on the blood mobiles or book mobiles?

I am looking for a front door similar to this one, but my google searches haven't come up with anything close... :/
I bet if have a heavy vehicle scrap yard you might find a door

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:06 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJackson View Post

Custome built RV door. Good luck finding one. Salvage yard or Epay. Possibly crig's list add or want to buy add placed upon the site.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Here's a thought. CL has lots of RV parts like furnaces and tanks. Obviously those RVs being deconstructed had doors but there's not much market for them. You could try contacting one of the used parts sellers.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
@Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I hate seeing a bus with a house door, especially wood doors.
BLBHAHHAHA Like OMG Robin, I thought I was the only one who hated house doors and wood flooring on buses!! That's a good one!
BigDeb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #39
Bus Geek

That's probably a response from when I was a kid watching the old hippie buses drive through town leaving a smoke screen behind the bus.

Don't take me wrong. I'm a big believer is using what you got. I've got a lot of military surplus in my bus. Still, a six panel wooden door bolted onto a bus is kind of on the hideous side. That's right up there with the 55 gallon water tank strapped to the roof.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeb68 View Post
BLBHAHHAHA Like OMG Robin, I thought I was the only one who hated house doors and wood flooring on buses!! That's a good one!
We all have different tastes, opinions, and egos.
But yeah, I hate house doors on buses, aside from a couple I've seen.
I really don't like the school bus service doors either. I know most of you do, I'm in the minority that doesn't care about keeping a shred of the "school bus" stuff. I want it all gone.
My bus is gonna be a dirt road country coach, of sorts.
I love the way a nicely paneled in RV door looks installed in place of the service door.

We all have our own opinions, of course.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote