Old 03-06-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
Skoolie

How would you put a drain in this tub?

I dont recall where I found this skoolie conversion picture, but I would like to know how to put a drain in a tub like this that is flush like a stick house tub would be? Any ideas?

Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
You are going to have to create a flange around the hole you drill for the drain, once you drill your 1 1/2 inch hole, you need to get something 1/8th inch thick and make a hole in it slightly bigger than the tub drain fitting flange you are going to install, center the tub hole over it and then hammer the area around the tub hole down to create a flange with a ball peen hammer and a round edged punch
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #3
Skoolie

Ok, I follow ya. Being galvy I cant use heat. Do you think the hammered flange would split?
Old 03-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
No it won't split
Go buy a normal bath tub drain and drill and fit before it is in place.
You will have to block up around the hole to deform it just enough for the drain grate to sit flush or lower with the bottom of the tub.
I would buy a drain and find a piece of steel pipe with a little bit bigger diameter than the drain cover and use it to form the cup for the drain grate to sit in and to be close to perfect take a piece of hardwood and make the same hole indentation and all in it and stick it under the hole in your tub and repeat the process. The pipe I recommended is going to be tighter in the tub because you added the thickness of the metal but it will stretch just like being pressed.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl Smoke View Post
Ok, I follow ya. Being galvy I cant use heat. Do you think the hammered flange would split?
There are several ways to install a drain, not a big deal. And you can weld galvanized metal if your drain setup requires welding. Once again not a big deal to do.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:32 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Go buy a bathtub drain pipe. It'll tell you how to install it, minus the hole. The drain pipe should deform the soft metal so it drains and seal up just like in a house. Be sure to put the large rubber gasket on the outside of the tub, and plumbers putty on the inside under the drain lip.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Go buy a bathtub drain pipe. It'll tell you how to install it, minus the hole. The drain pipe should deform the soft metal so it drains and seal up just like in a house. Be sure to put the large rubber gasket on the outside of the tub, and plumbers putty on the inside under the drain lip.
Finally it's monday so I can call around for parts. I'll look for a stainless drain for a tub and see how things go. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post

Agreed, just make sure the tub has no way to shift during movement so you don't develop leaks. A nice thick ring of bathroom silicone probably wouldn't hurt on the outside of the spongy gasket either. remember to seal from the bottom side of the bus too. Don't need any rust or critters crawling up in there!

-Doc
Old 03-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
One problem with having the tub @ floor level is that your p-trap/j-trap will then need to be below the floor, and (assuming you're using gravity to move the gray water) your waste water tank below that. Things can start hanging low pretty quick.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:11 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
One problem with having the tub @ floor level is that your p-trap/j-trap will then need to be below the floor, and (assuming you're using gravity to move the gray water) your waste water tank below that. Things can start hanging low pretty quick.
Use a waterless drain trap and the drain pipe won't hang down so far.
Hepvo Waterless Valve
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote