Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Tomas
Engine: 7.3l
Rated Cap: 72
From Manitoba

Frogpondfoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:30 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogpondfoug View Post
From Manitoba
that's a big place
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I'm just leaving my original bus doors in place for now (with the addition of a hasp and padlock on the outside). I'm building an insulated bulkhead wall behind the driver's seat and turning the cab into more or less a porch, so it's not a concern that the original doors aren't airtight.

To be honest, it's also just too much damn fun to open those doors with the switch.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I'm just leaving my original bus doors in place for now (with the addition of a hasp and padlock on the outside). I'm building an insulated bulkhead wall behind the driver's seat and turning the cab into more or less a porch, so it's not a concern that the original doors aren't airtight.

To be honest, it's also just too much damn fun to open those doors with the switch.

I was reading that in some jurisdictions at least ( might even have been my own area?? ) that to be reclassified as a motor home, a person must be able to walk upright between the living quarters and the driver's area - l don't have any idea of how you plan to separate the two areas, but thought it might be something to keep in mind
Old 06-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Fine and dandy for Quasimodo, but what recourse for us six-footers..?
Old 06-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I was reading that in some jurisdictions at least ( might even have been my own area?? ) that to be reclassified as a motor home, a person must be able to walk upright between the living quarters and the driver's area - l don't have any idea of how you plan to separate the two areas, but thought it might be something to keep in mind
Uhhhhh ... I guess I could just slouch. Seriously, if that's a rule I'm selling my bus.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I think it was covering moving van type conversions
Old 06-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Like several other Skoolies I wanted to keep the school bus look and to be able to see through the top and bottom of the door. The front half of the original two piece door folded out and the rear door folded in blocking the space where I wanted to put the genny and house electric controls. I ended up buying the innards of a "parallelogram plug" door from a shuttle bus, welding my original doors together and mounting them on the new hardware.

Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

[QUOTE=ol trunt;331026]Like several other Skoolies I wanted to keep the school bus look and to be able to see through the top and bottom of the door. The front half of the original two piece door folded out and the rear door folded in blocking the space where I wanted to put the genny and house electric controls. I ended up buying the innards of a "parallelogram plug" door from a shuttle bus, welding my original doors together and mounting them on the new hardware.

Jack

.[/QUOTE

some quality work on your bus
Old 06-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Thanks. The door is one of my favorite toys.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Like several other Skoolies I wanted to keep the school bus look and to be able to see through the top and bottom of the door. The front half of the original two piece door folded out and the rear door folded in blocking the space where I wanted to put the genny and house electric controls. I ended up buying the innards of a "parallelogram plug" door from a shuttle bus, welding my original doors together and mounting them on the new hardware.

Jack
That cardboard painted up nicely!
Old 06-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #32
Bus Geek

LMAO! Sometimes the mock up is good enough to just paint and keep.
Jack
Old 06-13-2019, 12:44 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72 passengers
Bus Door

I removed the lower glass and welded 1/8" sheet metal in both doors. Left the glass in the top on both doors.
I may change the door out eventually but it works for now.
Just wanted to make the door more secure, I was in the bus in 2 minutes using a pocket knife and cutting the window seals.

The door is locked with a master trailer lock, looks like a hockey puck.
WLDNWALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:18 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9
Has anyone seen the Skoolie with the door made of plywood with fiberglass over it? Looks like the original door but is treated marine plywood, bus door glass and fiberglass. I'm thinking about going that route.
ThemadTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #35
Almost There

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-750
Engine: 390 BB
Rated Cap: 2 humans, 1 cat
We replaced ours with a 36" camper door. Ours had already been replaced with a 22" when we bought it - with an opaque window!! That made for an interesting drive home when we first bought her!! We did, of course, make the opening wider but with all the other structural work we had to do, that was the easy bit! We ordered it through our local small RV shop and I think paid around $500 for it which included a screen door.
WanderingLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Amtran Genesis - International
Engine: DT466 mech.
Rated Cap: 77
This site has been a great resource and I took inspiration for our door from these builds:
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/so...sa-6318-3.html
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/on...door-6272.html

Here is the thread for the plywood and fiberglass door:
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/ou...home-8024.html

Hopefully this post is of some use for the OP. I did basically what he is inquiring about. Here is the finished product (hopefully some day I'll get around to creating a post with our entire build when it's done): http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...cture21787.jpg
I welded our door into one solid piece and used the original hinge. Our door was hinged in the middle, instead of a two piece door, so I removed the hinge and welded some tubing between the panels to make it solid and ~36" wide. I flipped the original front hinge around so that it would open outward. I kept the original sheet metal with the upper windows but just paneled over the lower windows and filled it with rigid foam insulation. I welded some 1" angle iron around the inside of the door frame to create a place to close the door against and hold the weather stripping. We used a household door handle with a push-button keypad on it and it seems to work well. I inserted a wooden block into the door frame to make it easier to install the door handle. This is a poor picture, sorry: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...cture21786.jpg
I did preload the door a little bit against the weather stripping and it doesn't rattle going down the road. We drove the bus from MN to MO and back this past winter and never had a problem; however, we do put a strap on the inside of the door handle as extra security while driving.
The original hinge does seem strong enough to hold the weight of the full door but it was made to hold both panels since it was a folding door originally so I don't know if the hinges from a split door would work as well. We've only been using it for 8 months and the paint is rubbing off of the hinge, particularly near the bottom, so it could be a little heavy.
Building a door using the original door works well for warmer climates but creates problems for those of us in colder areas. Due to all of the metal in the door and the frame, we had condensation problems during the winter in MN and MO. The metal conducts a lot of cold from outside so we had lots of ice build up and persistent moisture on all metals parts. I intend to rebuild the door this summer but this time make the frame out of wood to reduce thermal bridging and, hopefully, make it a little lighter. I plan to use the same design because we do like the look/style of the original bus door.
I also plan to remove the angle iron from the door frame and replace it with wood also.
When we rebuilt the door we also decided to do additional alterations since our bus was more rusted than we initially thought. We ended up moving the door behind the front wheel, like a typical RV (our bus is a 1995 Amtran Genesis with a flat front), and making a new set of stairs. With the original stairs relocated, I decided to use that space for a storage box for our propane tanks and other stuff. It is nicer entering the bus in the middle of the living space and not having to step around the engine shroud. http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...cture21788.jpg
Stan350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #37
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
My plan on my 28 foot bluebird is to remove the door put in some removeable floor panels to have a place to bolt my wifes seat. The space in the stairwell will be used for the generator and the engine battery.The new door will be a regular RV round corner door with the screen door. This will be installed right in frint of the right rear dually.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #38

Quote:
I'd like to get a commercial steel door with frame. like one half of this pair - tempered automotive glass of course
Sleddgracer and those wanting full insulated glass should be aware the the glass alone for this type of door weighs approximately 97.5 lbs. The door without the glass (if you use the narrow vertical stile type door), which is actually made out of aluminum, is around 50 lbs. The standard framing for these doors has a 1 3/4" face and are 4"-4 1/2" in depth. You can use the piano hinge (the door industry calls them continuous hinges) made by Pemko, Roton (Hager),Select and many off name brands but you need to make sure what your fastening the hinge to can take the weight. I really like the looks of these doors and if you get one that is blank you can add just about any type of lock/latch and handles you like. These doors can be custom made to any size you want.
Ronflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #39
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronflow View Post
Sleddgracer and those wanting full insulated glass should be aware the the glass alone for this type of door weighs approximately 97.5 lbs. The door without the glass (if you use the narrow vertical stile type door), which is actually made out of aluminum, is around 50 lbs. The standard framing for these doors has a 1 3/4" face and are 4"-4 1/2" in depth. You can use the piano hinge (the door industry calls them continuous hinges) made by Pemko, Roton (Hager),Select and many off name brands but you need to make sure what your fastening the hinge to can take the weight. I really like the looks of these doors and if you get one that is blank you can add just about any type of lock/latch and handles you like. These doors can be custom made to any size you want.
yeah, they are heavy suckers - I've had to move them around on job sites - that's why I mentioned door AND the frame made for them