Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Bookmobile
Engine: Cummins/Allison
Hurri Hot not hot/warm

I am converting a 1997 Blue Bird bookmobile and not getting warm/hot air from the Hurri-Hot. Does the engine need to be running for this to work? I don't see any vavles for this thing. I tried attaching a photo but the site crashes to a blank page.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks,
Mike

GameRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Hurri Hot not hot/warm

Coolant runs thru the engine, heating it up and then thru the HurriHot's radiator which has fans blowing air thru it. I just jerked the front off of mine and then removed all the hoses to vac out the fans/replaces hoses. Interestingly simple heating system. Unless you add a way to heat the coolant independent of the engine, you will not be able to use it as coach heat when parked unless the engine is running. Fine for a few hours but not a few days, weeks, months...

Basically, it operates like this with the engine in place of the water heater.
http://www.solarhaven.org/HPArticle.htm

The picture here is basically how we will be setting up our rear heat exchanger from the HurriHot system, except we won't be using PV panels to power the pump. Our heat exchanger will be hung under the bus and attached to a plenum that will also serve as the plenum for the AC unit. We will use an environmentally safe antifreeze for the coolant. I've researched the stuff when we were planning a hydronic radiant floor heating system for the Eagle. Safe for the environment, safe around pets and safe for the plumbing connections and tank liners.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Bookmobile
Engine: Cummins/Allison
Re: Hurri Hot not hot/warm

Thanks! I thought it got warm when the engine ran but I saw the name "hurri-hot" and thought it was intstant. The hoses are from the engine compartment and then to the front for the driver. This will warm me up when it is cold so not useless as driving. I have some more questions so I will create a new post.

Thanks!
GameRV is offline   Reply With Quote