Old 06-28-2018, 04:33 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Wink I finally got my bus! wait till you see it.... but what do i do about this A/C?

There she is! 2002 CSFE (possibly C1FE, can't figure it out) 121,000 miles - original color! Came from California

I finally got my bus, after 2 years of searching. I had just about given up and put it on the backburner, when this beauty fell in my lap. I own a horse tack business that specializes in embroidery, and I wanted something to be able to take on the road, as a mobile business at horse shows. I originally thought I wanted a short school bus, but quickly realized it would be too small. I set my sights on a mid size school bus with handicap door, but I was overwhelmed at all the different types and styles. I knew I wanted Cummings Diesel, Allison trans, flat nose, handicap doors and low miles. Living in Michigan, I didn't want anything local, due to rust issues. I moved to Arizona last October and continued my search here, but found nothing of interest. Until i found HER! just 10 minutes from my house! It also happens to be my favorite color, and what is also my business color. anyway, im rambling.... This is my first conversion, and I have a few questions.

*The back AC unit works well, not super super cold, but works
*The side unit blows hot air
*The driver unit is either broken, or I haven't found that switch yet

I would really prefer to just remove the side air unit, as it is big and in the way, and I dont really need it since I have the back unit for driving, and I plan on getting something more portable while parked. (can't run the engine at the shows). Is there a manual, tutorial or something of the like that I can use to take this out? My boyfriend who is helping me is nervous that it could be too big of a job, and once we start taking it out, there is no turning back.

*Flooring - Im definitely not worried about cold, and noise shouldn't be a problem since I am only driving to and from, not with any customers. Do I have to take up the original floor or can I put something directly on top? What are the best options for materials?

*Where is a good place to sell these benches and stripper pole? It would be perfect for someone converting to a party bus, and I dont want to just trash them. We will keep the back corner seat, as it fits nicely.

Thanks for reading! I will update progress as we get more work done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_100G6.jpg (248.2 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_100F9.jpg (113.5 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1011.jpg (143.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1012.jpg (181.4 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_101G0.jpg (163.3 KB, 153 views)
caleylemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Don't turn on a black light in that bus!!!

LOL I'd put on some gloves, clean that thing out a few times over and give the stripper pole to whoever wanted it.

Cool looking little bus. I like the color!
Old 06-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

THANKS! I have only had it for half a day, already found two pieces of chewed gum, and one big rhinestone haha
Old 06-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
The purpose of pulling the plywood floor is not just to add insulation, but to inspect for any rust issues from leaky windows leaking water down below the plywood and rusting the flooring out, they all leak. Now is the time to find. correct, seal and move forward. This way all the work you put into it doesn't fall to the ground in 2 years.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
If I was you, I'd get all the AC working if possible. Arizona is no joke with heat and even with tons of insulation you're still inside a solar oven. I can testify that driving with dual air behind you doesn't stop you from sweating in the seat in hot weather, even though everyone behind you is putting on jackets and gloves!
Old 06-28-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The purpose of pulling the plywood floor is not just to add insulation, but to inspect for any rust issues from leaky windows leaking water down below the plywood and rusting the flooring out, they all leak. Now is the time to find. correct, seal and move forward. This way all the work you put into it doesn't fall to the ground in 2 years.
after i do that, what do i put over it? im guessing plywood, but how thick? what options do i have to put over the plywood?
Old 06-28-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
If I was you, I'd get all the AC working if possible. Arizona is no joke with heat and even with tons of insulation you're still inside a solar oven. I can testify that driving with dual air behind you doesn't stop you from sweating in the seat in hot weather, even though everyone behind you is putting on jackets and gloves!
I will most likely try to fix the driver air, but i am certainly not keeping the side unit as it will be in the way for my retail space
Old 06-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
That driver air is something I honestly haven't seen before. If your bus actually has three compressors in it that would be pretty amazing!
Old 06-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleylemieux View Post
after i do that, what do i put over it? im guessing plywood, but how thick? what options do i have to put over the plywood?
Standard subfloor will be 5/8" or 3/4" plywood. You can go thinner if you like. As long as you have the subfloor up now would be a good time to consider insulation (bridge freezes before roadway) , you can start with 1/2" or 1" rigid foam insulation and then the plywood. The options for floor thickness is dependent on headroom loss.
Bench seats in most cases are worth nothing more than what you can get for the steel frames at salvage.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #10
Site Team

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
... and give the stripper pole to whoever wanted it.
Hmm... that gives me some ideas...

I'LL TAKE THE POLE!!!

JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote