Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Re: I found my bus!!!

pictures man!~~~

Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Did a really stupid noob stunt: entered a Starbucks parking lot not fully appreciating how large this vehicle is. Got out without damage or injury except my pride.
Funny. That's one thing that sucks about driving a big vehicle, you can't always go where you want. Crongrats on the bus purchase. You will love that engine. That's what I have in the BB.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Congratulations!

One thing less funny than a cramped parking lot is hitting something overhead. After you add air conditioner, roof racks, TV dome, etc., measure your actual height and print it on the dash, the passenger view mirror, or above the windshield for quick reference. Rental trucks sometimes mark it in reverse letters on the corner of the box, so you can see it in the mirrors . . . .
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

Yeah, although it can be stressful navigating a huge vessel amongst all the tiny craft- it's a pleasure once you get your "sea legs". I still run into situations that are awkward due to the size of the bus. Sometimes it's from my own lack, but often it's other driver's inability or impatience (that in the end would most likely injure them). People especially aren't real quick to give you the space needed around tight corners, like they seem more apt to do for semi's. Another place that cause a lot of stress is the gas station. Keep in mind I have a gasser, so it's competing with all the little cars for me, but people really aren't as courteous as they once were, and are often so cut-throat that I just have to throw my hands up in the air in wonderment- otherwise I would either pull my own hair out, or rip them a new something or other.
Anyhow, sounds like it was a fun trip, Star$'s and all.
Cheers!

Redbear, that's the tip of month- maybe the year- as far as I'm concerned. I have a sincere fear of ripping stuff off my bus (or worse) as it grows taller- especially in some out of the way places that have old grandfathered in r.r. bridges and such. One has to keep an eye out when driving back roads, because for me anyway, I don't always remember that I'm in a vehicle pushing 13'. Anyhow, I think I'll place my height in the several places that you suggested, and maybe write my CURRENT height on my rearview, since my height is likely to change by inches, depending on what I may throw up top.
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Yeah! You found me a bus! So glad you did. When can you deliver it?

Looks great, sounds great. Grats!
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #6

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

A tip for those worried about hitting something overhead. When I drive my Ford Clubwagon(14 pax van) into an underground garage, I always watch my antenna. Same thing went for the concrete truck. If the antenna ever touched, I made sure I paid attention. Tip of the antenna was about the height of the vehicle. Maybe put a CB or radio antenna on your bus with the tip a couple of inches higher than the roof.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennC
Did a really stupid noob stunt: entered a Starbucks parking lot not fully appreciating how large this vehicle is. Got out without damage or injury except my pride. Disclaimer/whiny excuse: when picking up the bus to go home, it was the first time I've ever driven a bus or anything that large. Admittedly a bit intimidating at first, but after a few hundred miles, I REALLY enjoy driving it.
Even experienced drivers have issues sometimes. On a school bus sports trip (empty - just dropped off), I got stuck in the world's smallest Dunkin parking lot. I was a little impatient out of need for both a 2nd coffee and a place to return the 1st (read: back teeth were floating), and it appeared that the Dunkin lot was connected to the big shopping center next door. It wasn't - the lot consisted of 2 rows of cars with 12 feet between them leading up to the building. I had to back out onto a major road - and then settle for a McDonald's coffee and bathroom since nobody in THAT building saw what I just did.

Once you drive large vehicles enough, watching for clearance becomes second-nature. My heart skips a beat every time I take my car into a parking garage - I know the Yaris will fit under the 7 foot bar, but it still scares me because I'm so used to the bus. You just have to make sure you look before you commit to turning in anywhere.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-ted
"People especially aren't real quick to give you the space needed around tight corners, like they seem more apt to do for semi's.

Redbear, that's the tip of month- maybe the year- as far as I'm concerned. I have a sincere fear of ripping stuff off my bus (or worse) as it grows taller- especially in some out of the way places that have old grandfathered in r.r. bridges and such. One has to keep an eye out when driving back roads, because for me anyway, I don't always remember that I'm in a vehicle pushing 13'. Anyhow, I think I'll place my height in the several places that you suggested, and maybe write my CURRENT height on my rearview, since my height is likely to change by inches, depending on what I may throw up top.
After driving semis in Chicago for 12+ years believe me, no one gives a semi ANY space. One time a tow truck driver tried to shove me into the center boulevard divider and found out his side view mirror, driver door, and rear dually is much easier to rip off than the passenger corregated steel container side of the trailer I was pulling. He TRIED to blame me for him driving into my lane.... The cops believed me before him. But I was late in picking up my load due to his arrogance. Big Mac is much easier to maneauver than my old semi ever was.

Sweet bus though! That Cat 3208 will outlast the rest of the chassis! I LOVE the cat 3208s. I ran 4&1/4 3206s when I was a semi driver back in the '90s. I had a 3206A and then a 3206C. Both were mechanical Cats and ran hard. I never had a single problem with the engines. The A had 1.4 million miles before I traded her in for the C. I wish now I had kept the A. That motor was stellar!