Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
I might need a generator

I was wondering if anyone could comment on their best and worst generator experiences or recommend a brand? I'm on a budget but if it is long lasting, somewhat quiet and very efficient I will spend more. Thanks!

Iheartbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:42 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartbus View Post
I was wondering if anyone could comment on their best and worst generator experiences or recommend a brand? I'm on a budget but if it is long lasting, somewhat quiet and very efficient I will spend more. Thanks!
The Honda inverter gensets are quiet and effeciant. Harbor freight has a copycat version, but I have never used it and can't vouch for the quality.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
My little Honda i2000 is a class act.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:53 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
They are selling used Honda generators on Craigslist for good prices. curious where you will mount it? I am considering the exact same thing for an AC this summer. I toughed it out last year and it wasn't awful.... Until it was awful lol

Also can we mount these under the bus and run 'em safely? Like towards the rear? I guess i could et one and put it under the bus and see how loud it is. Either too hot or too noisy.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:55 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Has to be vented well. Wherever you mount it. And access to start it and service it. So like a compartment that has vents? As long as it doesn't connect to the living space it shouldn't be a problem

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
figure out how big you will need.? are you going to permeant install it? , remote start?
champion generators have been getting great ratings, and are reasonably priced, Honda and Yamaha are the top ones, but your paying top dollar. I have a yardman from Canadian tire, 3000 watt remote start, works great, a bit loud. I'm looking at a champion 3400 inverter for other use.
gbstewart
Old 05-29-2017, 11:27 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Oh yeah i forgot i can plug a fan into it and aim it at the generator while it runs.
Considering underneath or up top. Underneath would be easy breezy. Just bolt it up. A pain to service ... Oh yeah will need to be able to fill the tank...hmmm gold thing i think about things before i do em. Lol

Oh wow just remembered where an exhaust pipe is laying in the alley. Will grab that, maybe route the exhaust up and out. Hmm...
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:25 AM   #8
Skoolie

I didn't even consider mounting it, was going to use it to power an angle grinder to remove the seat, then after that as needed. I suppose I'd mount it under the bus somewhere, maybe cut out a portion wherever it sits to have access to it, make a door or something.

I saw the Honda 2000 it's an inverter generator? Is that good? Idk what the inverter part means but the reviews say it is quiet.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:06 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the Honda EU2000 is an Excellent generator... the best part is they are expandable.. you can tie 2 of them together if for some reaosn you need more power from a "single" source..

as for mounting.. I know of a guy with a coach who has his in a compartment underneath and then used a vent on one side and a 10" electric radiator fan pulling air out.. the vent is in front and the fan in back.. he has louvers on the front so water doesnt get in.. his Generator is happy running in there.. the vent is always open. I cant remember which genset he has but it is electric start.. he turns on the fan first to clear any fumes out and then starts the genset..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:39 AM   #10
Skoolie

Oh wow they are more expensive than I thought they would be! I might have to go used. I'll keep an eye out for this brand though.

BTW, is the diesel or LP generators as good or better?
Old 05-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #11
Almost There

Year: 1996
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Champion Dual fuel

I went with the Champion Dual Fuel generator. It has the option to run off of propane or regular gasoline. I am currently using it to power a window AC unit and all my tools and chargers during the build process. I have only been using propane and its been working great. I got this one because I didn't want to have to deal with two different fuel types. We will be using propane for cooking and the water heater on the bus so I will already have propane readily available. I bought mine on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Powe...fuel+generator
AZtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:18 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Oh wow they are more expensive than I thought they would be! I might have to go used. I'll keep an eye out for this brand though.

BTW, is the diesel or LP generators as good or better?
Different animals. A diesel genset would be the way I'd go. Depends on if you want a real generator on board or if you want a suitcase sized camping generator.
For what a Honda cost, let alone two of them, I'd as soon build an Onan RV genset into my bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:26 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I have the Champion 3500W generator that I've now converted to propane. It's only for emergencies - I did not want gasoline sitting in the tank for maybe years, then finding that the carb is gummed up when I need to start it, so propane makes more sense for its very occasional use. I can still also use gasoline if I want, but why would I? It always used to start on the first pull, but now with propane it always starts on the third pull. I've mounted it on a slide-out between my door and front wheel, and the exhaust is through a telescoping pipe to the opposite side. Well worth it!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtom View Post
I went with the Champion Dual Fuel generator.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Powe...fuel+generator
This guy is currently at Costco if anyone wants to know.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:07 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone could comment on their best and worst generator experiences or recommend a brand?
I'm not sure exactly what you meant by "experiences" but I can tell you that camping anywhere remotely close to a construction site (loud) generator is miserable!! In a canyon is even worse!!

Quiet does cost but it is worth it (for you and your neighbors). Obviously, the Honda units are very good for a small package/output. If looking for a big generator (to power air conditioning and such), the Onan units are good. I used to have one of the Onan Quiet Diesels and it was great. My current coach is a diesel and it will have a diesel generator one of these days as I don't want to carry two different types of fuel (simply my preference).
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #16
Skoolie

So I should be on the lookout for used onan diesel or LP? Any particular versions that are known to perform well, quiet, and last a long time?
Old 05-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
The quiet diesel generators are very nice, but expensive. New substantially sized quiet diesel generators start at about $4k. The single fuel source idea is popular, and some people even buy diesel powered cooking appliances. As mentioned gas generators can have gummed up carburetors from sitting. Propane generators require that you carry a second type of fuel obviously.

Pretty much any generator is going to last a long time if you take care of it properly. I prefer a diesel generator because they don't get gummed up like gas generators and they don't require me to carry different types of fuel. The same single fuel source thought can also carry through to heating and even cooking. Just be sure you don't run yourself out of fuel while boondocking.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
So I should be on the lookout for used onan diesel or LP? Any particular versions that are known to perform well, quiet, and last a long time?
Pretty sure this dude is a crackhead. First it's oNan not oRan. Second, there's no chance in hell you're getting 33 KW out of something that size. You can get 3.3KW out of that but not 33 KW.
https://yakima.craigslist.org/for/6130570048.html
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
I bought a 2000 watt Hyundai inverter genny after seeing the prices on the Honda/Yamaha brands. I spent half. I got on ebay. Its been a real good genny for about 3 years now. Sure its not the quality or as quiet as the Honda/Yamaha brands but its pretty darn close. Hyundai is a lot better than the other knock-off brands. imho. Friend bought a champion and its really fickle to start and its louder than my Hyundai
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:29 PM   #20
Bus Nut

I have a pair of refurbished, Champion 2000s I got them BOTH for less than one new Honda 2000. I can connect them if needed, but haven't had to yet. They are almost as quiet as the Hondas and Yamahas, and I'm pleased with them.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote