Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #11
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
I'm not following you. You have a bus with no transmission?
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #12
Skoolie
 
jacobszall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Florida
Posts: 112
Year: 1990
Chassis: Chevy Blue Bird Mini Bird (P30)
Engine: GM Diesel 6.2
I bought it for $425, no batteries, no transmission, minor engine work needed, no dashboard. The dashboard arrived yesterday, I bought a battery recently and I am praying the transmission I bought will work just fine haha. It's almost running.
jacobszall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #13
Skoolie
 
jacobszall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Florida
Posts: 112
Year: 1990
Chassis: Chevy Blue Bird Mini Bird (P30)
Engine: GM Diesel 6.2
Okay, so I talked to him and it comes with the computer and harness.. but the shifter was burnt in the fire. I'm assuming I need that for it to run..
jacobszall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #14
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Allison MD3060 Transmission Electronic Shifter Model WPB01 Free Shipping | eBay
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #15
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobszall View Post
I bought it for $425, no batteries, no transmission, minor engine work needed, no dashboard. The dashboard arrived yesterday, I bought a battery recently and I am praying the transmission I bought will work just fine haha. It's almost running.

If you bought a bus with an 8.3 and no trans for 425, I wouldn't hold your breath that the engine runs unless you have started it already. That engine is worth $3k plus all day long.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #16
Skoolie
 
jacobszall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Florida
Posts: 112
Year: 1990
Chassis: Chevy Blue Bird Mini Bird (P30)
Engine: GM Diesel 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
If you bought a bus with an 8.3 and no trans for 425, I wouldn't hold your breath that the engine runs unless you have started it already. That engine is worth $3k plus all day long.
Oh man.

I'm pretty sure I have the shifter.
jacobszall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #17
Skoolie
 
jacobszall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: South Florida
Posts: 112
Year: 1990
Chassis: Chevy Blue Bird Mini Bird (P30)
Engine: GM Diesel 6.2
To be honest, I'm a bit nervous now. The transmission should be fine, I think. I bought the bus from the school district who looks like they used the transmission and some other things for parts for other, better conditioned buses. The rear engine door was really really stuck.. but we managed to get it open. I'm hoping that, because it was stuck, the engine wasn't touched much. It doesn't look too bad and I'm just hoping it'll turn over. I have that shifter piece in the bus already, so I don't think I need a new one.

I guess this is the part where I start hoping for the best but expecting the worst.
jacobszall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #18
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 694
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Engines don't need a transmission attached to them to do a test run. At most, you'll need a trans because you're missing the flywheel or bellhousing is designed to take a torque converter with the starter ring gear around the outside.

Can you turn the motor over slowly with a bar?



Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobszall View Post
To be honest, I'm a bit nervous now. The transmission should be fine, I think. I bought the bus from the school district who looks like they used the transmission and some other things for parts for other, better conditioned buses. The rear engine door was really really stuck.. but we managed to get it open. I'm hoping that, because it was stuck, the engine wasn't touched much. It doesn't look too bad and I'm just hoping it'll turn over. I have that shifter piece in the bus already, so I don't think I need a new one.

I guess this is the part where I start hoping for the best but expecting the worst.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #19
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 6,161
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I've been told to never turn a diesel over manually even slowly (as with a bar) since they can pop off and run for a few revs on whatever is in the lines and/or cylinders. Remember...they don't need any "spark"...just air & fuel that gets compressed.

I have hand propped a few airplanes and would not want to see a bar spinning like a propeller. I may have been told wrong, but then...I have never tested the theory.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #20
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I've been told to never turn a diesel over manually even slowly (as with a bar) since they can pop off and run for a few revs on whatever is in the lines and/or cylinders. Remember...they don't need any "spark"...just air & fuel that gets compressed.

I have hand propped a few airplanes and would not want to see a bar spinning like a propeller. I may have been told wrong, but then...I have never tested the theory.

Man, you take the fun out of everything.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.