Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I've been told to never turn a diesel over manually even slowly (as with a bar) since they can pop off and run for a few revs on whatever is in the lines and/or cylinders. Remember...they don't need any "spark"...just air & fuel that gets compressed.

I have hand propped a few airplanes and would not want to see a bar spinning like a propeller. I may have been told wrong, but then...I have never tested the theory.
On an older engine, I'd agree. But with this being electronic the odds of it taking off by barring it over are slim to none. I also doubt he'd be able to spin it fast enough with a bar to get the fuel to combust in the first place.

Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Given that the guy who so advised me was a very old-timer, I doubt he ever worked on anything but all mechs and most those were probably 2 strokes.

But I do know for a fact that a hot, fuel injected aircraft engines can fire with the ignition off and a really short rotation of the prop. And it usually ain't pretty. A trained A&P mechanic at LaPorte Airport near Houston lost a leg that way...so maybe I am a tad spooky on the subject.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I wouldn't bar over a 2 stroke diesel unless both fuel and air were both cut off. My 2 stroke Detroit 8v92 starts the first time a piston comes up even when it is stone cold. Its actually spooky to watch. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:10 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Story time!

I was pulling the radiator out of a 1978 Unimog U1100L, and in order to do so you sort of turn the engine fan while lifting the radiator, so the lower outlet meshes between one of the blades, until the gap points upwards, at which point you pull the rad out of the top. (between fan and grill of cab)

As I got that last turn, the engine, which wasn't cold, caught and started all on it's own because the fuel was set to the idle position instead of the cut position.

So yeah, I know what you mean.

I think the thing is, if you are not sure how to prevent the fuel from getting into the injection pump, and/or the air into the intake while attempting to see if the engine turns freely, I think as a general rule they may need some extra help determining the state of the engine.

That's just a generalization, and shouldn't be taken as a sleight to anyone.

Quote:
Given that the guy who so advised me was a very old-timer, I doubt he ever worked on anything but all mechs and most those were probably 2 strokes.

But I do know for a fact that a hot, fuel injected aircraft engines can fire with the ignition off and a really short rotation of the prop. And it usually ain't pretty. A trained A&P mechanic at LaPorte Airport near Houston lost a leg that way...so maybe I am a tad spooky on the subject.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:01 PM   #25

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
There was a horrible incident with a truck and transfer. The driver was killed. If you're not familiar with the setup, it goes like this. Truck comes with a load of rock and unhooks the trailer. Truck dumps the load and backs up to the trailer to slide the box from the trailer into the box on the truck. The driver leaves the truck in reverse WITH THE KEY OFF!!! Then the driver goes to the back of the truck where he or in this case she presses a button connected to the starter to move the truck back. Key off, the truck will come back far enough to transfer the second box. Do this with the key on and you die a very painful and gruesome death. You hit that button with the key turned on and in reverse, the engine will fire up and take off. She was pinned in between the truck and trailer.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:17 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
I've been told to never turn a diesel over manually even slowly (as with a bar) since they can pop off and run for a few revs on whatever is in the lines and/or cylinders. Remember...they don't need any "spark"...just air & fuel that gets compressed.

I have hand propped a few airplanes and would not want to see a bar spinning like a propeller. I may have been told wrong, but then...I have never tested the theory.
Tango,

I've done it with my M1109s and my M1031. No issues because I was working on the fuel injection distributor pump. A couple of times I did it working on other systems, but never had the engines take off and run on me. I disconnected the batteries and that left the fuel shut-off valve on the cut-off position. Always be careful to have that valve in the off position!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Good stories by all. The common theme between them all was that the engine was either warm, or the ignition was on. If he bars it over by hand, with it cold, I still doubt that it would start. Don't get me wrong, you do have to take precautions, but I've done it on loads of engines and have never even had the hint of one starting. Bar it over slowly and there should be no worries.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Yes, this.

After taking noted precautions, listen to the noise the engine makes when leaking the compressed cylinder past the rings (you can hear a hissing sound of air inside the motor)

If it sounds sort of louder than expected, or seems "too easy" it might be worthwhile to stop and figure out whats going on. If it feels damn near impossible to turn over by hand, you're probably fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Good stories by all. The common theme between them all was that the engine was either warm, or the ignition was on. If he bars it over by hand, with it cold, I still doubt that it would start. Don't get me wrong, you do have to take precautions, but I've done it on loads of engines and have never even had the hint of one starting. Bar it over slowly and there should be no worries.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Midbus
Engine: GM 5.7 L31
Rated Cap: 19
I'm a diesel novice so I apologize if this is comes off as snarky (it's not).

Couldn't he just pull the glow plugs to relieve cylinder pressure? Do they work like a spark plug in that it's sealing up the chamber?
uhlhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:32 PM   #30

Good compression is one of the signs of a healthy diesel engine. If you remove the glow plugs, you can't check compression.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 02-12-2016, 10:33 PM   #31

Also, some diesels don't have glow plugs like a DT466.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 12-12-2016, 07:42 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Chevy Blue Bird Mini Bird (P30)
Engine: GM Diesel 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Also, some diesels don't have glow plugs like a DT466.
ooof, looking back at this old thread. I was naive. I still am, just not as much haha.

I needed a radiator, not a transmission, among a lot of other things.. so I sold that bus and bought a different one. I've stuck to this project!
jacobszall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:40 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Wow.

That's all I've got.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:43 PM   #34
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
Wow.

That's all I've got.

that was my reaction
Old 01-06-2017, 01:57 AM   #35
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobszall View Post
ooof, looking back at this old thread. I was naive. I still am, just not as much haha.

I needed a radiator, not a transmission, among a lot of other things.. so I sold that bus and bought a different one. I've stuck to this project!
Surely there is more to this story? You were willing to tackle a missing trans but not a missing radiator?
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:52 AM   #36
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftone View Post
Surely there is more to this story? You were willing to tackle a missing trans but not a missing radiator?
That's part of it. I remember looking at prices for a radiator and seeing that they were much more expensive than the transmission. Maybe I just was looking at the wrong thing. Not only that, though, but over time I thought about it and thought to myself that a short bus would better suit me. It'll just be me traveling (maybe one other person), so no need for a huge bus. Maybe as a project one day, but not today.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:59 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
At least you finally let that thing go! I was amazed you took that project on at all, man!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #38
Skoolie

Yeah, me too man. Thanks, haha.

I just went down to Key Largo last week or so, actually, pretty spontaneously in the bus and only had to stop once on the way back. My brake calipers overheated and we had to pull over, my brakes were locking up. I splashed some water on all of them and you could've burned an egg on those calipers.

As of right now, all I have to do for my current bus is flush the radiator, figure out that caliper overheating issue (it only overheated after about 2 hours nonstop on the road) and my bus stalls when the engine isn't warm enough. I have to rev the engine to heat it up until it's warm enough. I replaced the idle air control valve and that's not the issue, apparently, because it's still doing the same thing. I'm hoping by the end of next month, maybe mid to late March, I'll be on the road!
Old 01-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #39
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Nice.
You're young, energetic, and tenacious. I'm thinking by the time this is all over you'll be an amazing diesel technician!!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:41 AM   #40
Skoolie

Haha. Thank you!! I really appreciate that

Thank you for all your help so far, too